investing in skid steer

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by rmartin, May 25, 2004.

1. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

I am looking to invest in a skid steer. What is the going hourly rate for use?

2. turftammer

turftammer LawnSite Member

I use mine mainly for snow removal & charge by the job but I douse it when things get slow mowwing just to still earn some cash & get $60hr but I'm not an excavator in my area I beleive they get about $75hr for skidsteer/backhoes if you not decided on what machine, my case skidsteer is great but I kinda wish I had bought a bobcat because of all the attachments you can get

3. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

Day and Half-day rates. 575 day and like 385 half-day.

4. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

here in missouri most people charge an 8 hr min. at $55 per hr .

5. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

well in this part of Missouri, i see 40/hr advertised pretty frequently, with no minimum...thats why i don't have one

6. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Going rate around here is $50-$55 with a 4 hour min. The problem I see is ineffeciency. With a skid steer its gotta be running 20 hours a week to make decent money. If its sitting in the shop while your mowing collecting dust it is a cost and not a revenue generator. If you got a man running it while your mowing then it can make you money.

I'm struggling with purchasing a Kubota Sub Compact and just cant justify $15,000 right now when that $15,000 would buy 2 new Z's (Which according to everyone on here would generate $60.00 an hour each)

Depending on what your gonna use it for. If you do a lot of landscaping it might be able to pay for itself.

7. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

In my area the average rate is $65/hr. with a 3 hr. minimum.
    I have been demoing a Cat 247 with rubber tracks for several days. It is an awesome machine. I had it in a marsh area piling brush and it never got stuck in 2-3' of muck.
    Right now I just cannot justify spending $32,500 for a new one. You have to use them almost every day to pay for themselves. But, on the other hand, people who have them said that you will find ways to keep them busy once you get one.

8. griffithtlc

griffithtlc LawnSite Member

We just purchased an 2001 Bobcat 763 with 900 hours on it. Most of the jobs we do are just dirt leveling and hauling/spreading rock. The payments on it a month are only a touch over 300 a month. (Put a 4000 dollar down payment right away) We don't have to use it very much to make the payment for it. 1 job a month and it makes the payment on it. Come winter, it will help us with snow plowing so it's covered there as well. Plus we get to use it up north on our land and help some friends out as well who have helped us out on the way.

The way I think of it is if you can keep it busy enouph just to make the payment what are you out?? If you run into trouble a year or two down the road you can always sell it but you should not have to. When we got this one early this spring and got our first couple of jobs, the word is getting out and we are getting more calls. Granted we only do light landscaping but this pays very good also. Many bigger places do not want to mess around with some of these jobs so we take advantage of that.

So far since we have bought ours we have not regretted it. Made us some money.

9. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with griffithtlc. In the past few years, I was renting the skid steers an average of 3-4 times a month. At about 300 per rental, that is $900-$1200 a month. I bought a new Cat 246 and the monthly payment is significantly less. And it's been going out twice a week lately, so I'm happy.

10. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

My Landscaper Uncle has a skid steer, he lives on a couple of rough acres. He some how attaches a Slasher/bush hog to it to mow his "cough" lawn!

Our council sub contacts skid steers as well.