1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

investment club

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Jul 11, 2001.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Got rained out so I was watching Oprah. Yes, Oprah.

They were talking about ordinary people with extrordinary wealth. Tips on how to save and where your extra monyey was going.

What caught my attention was there was a group of woman that started an investment club back in 89 and none of them had squat..............now they do.

With the members we have here now I wonder how feasible it would be to start a Lawnsite investment club. A group this large could generate some pretty big dollars even at 100.00 a month. Our own retirement account.

If even 1000 of us invested 100.00 a month that would be 120,000.00 a year without interest

I wouldn't know where to begin to get this going but I do know there is strength in numbers and we could all gain from something along these lines. We all need to retire one day and although we can do it alone little by little what would the long term outcome be with the larger dollars.

Just a thought to ponder...............seems like a lot of potential.

What are we waiting for?
  2. powerreel

powerreel Banned

I'll be the accountant!
  3. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

This really caught my attention, I have been looking at investments to get me started. I figure that if I would start at a young age, I could have some serious money after awhile. I would be very interested in this, keep us posted on what going on!!
  4. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

My checks in the mail.......

wait, 120,000 div by 1,000 is only 120.00 ea member .......
    :confused: :confused:

I gotta get to a calculator.
  5. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Good idea but keep in mind that there are thousands of people that would love to take advantage of a bunch of rubes. Do the research, don't fall for just anything, and keep checks and balances. But I would be open to the idea.
  6. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

1,000 members at 100 per member per month

1,000 X 100 = 100,000

per year (12 months)

12 X 100,000 = 1,200,000 (1.2 million)

I vote that <b>HOMER</b> is <b>NOT</b> the accountant...LOL:D
  7. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I'll hold the money in my Swiss bank account !
    No charge !

8. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

My dad works for Edward Jones here an St. Louis at the main office. He wants brought somthing home that had calculations and stuff that said that at age 18 you invest $100 each month and get a %10 return when your 65 you'll have over a milliion. I would like to here more about this investmeant club.
  9. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

This is what I came up with.. by Homer's numbers we would only have 120.00 ea at the year-end. :p

Homer stay away from that Oprah !!
  10. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

Most investment clubs are ran by the group together. Most fo the time each member investor has to do research on a few companies than do give a report at the meeting and then the group chooses the ones they want to invest in. This means you still have to find time for research Is this something a bunch of lawn professionals are going to have time for? A few are ran buy a paid club manager(not cheap). I'd be all in a for club that only meets every month or biweekly to tell the club what they did with they're own personal investments and how it worked out and gives out advice; no pooled money involved.

It's a good idea, who doesn't want to be wealthy, but I think there are better and less consuming options out there. Theres stuff like this already out there for the independent invidual. Stuff like this is risky. You can get the same thing by buying mutual funds. It's exactly the same thing in sense, but more powerful. Large group of people buying a fund; the money goes to a fund manager, whose sole daily job is to research and manage the fund. He then buys stocks or other options with the groups money and the gain or loss from the investments are split proportionally to the fund's buyers by amount invested.

It sounds good, but might be just to good to be true. Stuff like that is not tax deductible, not FDIC insured (many funds aren't), and unstable if the person in charge has no idea what they're doing. Instead set up an IRA, I have. Although I'm 15 and you might think I don't know much , but I do a little investing and learned a thing or two. I invest $35 every week. With a 10% return on funds and the miracle of compounding, I'll have at least 1.7 mil.(Forgot the exact amount) when I retire

Then again it would be an investment club which would probablly include all sorts of things, but who's going to run it. I personally would think it would be more peace of mind to talk to a professional locally than just hand over 100 a month to some guy just hired to manage my money.

Search the internet, there's alot of info out there. www.fool.com is good. I think some sort of insurance pool wound be great(group discount), but then I don't know much about that (yet).