investor

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by katanna, Apr 1, 2007.

1. katanna

katanna LawnSite Member

hello my name is keith im getting ready to start a lawn service i have 3yrs experience. i have a female friend that wants to invest in the business. can anyone help me out and lead me in the right direction thx

2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

When you say "invest in the business", what exactly do you mean ? Is she willing to give half of the money to buy equipment, etc. ? If so, be sure there is a contract stipulating whether it is a loan, or conversely, whether she has 50 % ownership ... all these things need to be worked out before hand.

3. katanna

katanna LawnSite Member

thx lifetree she wants to invest money dont know how much but will find out my wife just told me today

4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Say no. I mean is this woman crazy?? Most lawns business are not great investments.

Now borrowing money at 5-10% to buy equipment is ok.

5. katanna

katanna LawnSite Member

thx rusk that sounds better a loan and she can make a profit off of the initial investment thx but she also talking getting commercial accounts for the business

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Is this a case where when someone apparently has more money than sense,
    perhaps it is best you help relieve her of it before someone else does?

I mean, maybe you should, because if she's that foolish then it would be a waste regardless, might as well put it to good use.

Too many people get excited when they hear 'running a business,' despite historical data showing 90% of them don't make it past 5 years apparently doesn't slow many down at all, but maybe it should. Weighing this against the fact that if she's going to throw money around, you might as well be the one there to catch it, I'm not sure what to say...

But I do know this much... When there presents itself the problem of more money than sense in a person, invariably this problem resolves itself in short order... The trick is to at least try really hard not to spend it too foolishly, but much beyond that the balance of money and sense restores itself one way or another, hopefully one has at least a little more sense afterwards, thou in all the years of my life I can not honestly recall the time where I had too much money, ever. Hmmm, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had a problem with having too much sense, either, guess that's how that balance works, idk...

Good luck to you guys, whatever you decide, I hope it works out for the best.

7. katanna

katanna LawnSite Member

thx a million i appreciate ur honesty and professionalism