Invisible Fence...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLS, Apr 5, 2002.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I now have 3 customers with these invisible DOG fences. Seems every year or so, I have one in my route for about a month, but 3 all at once!!! UGGH.

All those little freakin' flags to go around (I refuse to string trim around them), and they always put the flags in the most undesirable places. In a few weeks, they will be removing every other one, and then in about a month, all flags will be removed.

Question is....Should I be charging extra for this? One of them is the owners of one of my commercial sites' home, all under same contract, the other is on a property that I get well over the going rate (avg. $65/hr) and dont want to "Rock the boat". The third, I will definately raise a little for my inconvienience. How much do you think?

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I think you should bring up your concerns to them and tell them that you need more money if they want them string trimmed around. Maybe they will have a solutiont that works best for both of you.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

mdb,

They will never be string trimmed around, at least NOT by me! I, in the past, usually talked the homeowner into moving them inbound about 6" so the next time I could mow where they were. They always seem receptive to this idea! Anyting for "FIDO"!!! Dog people are amazing sometimes!

I just wondered if I should charge for the hassle of just "mowing" around the 352 little wire devils!

4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

The flags are put up so the dog has a visual reminder of where the fence is. He also gets an audible beep as he approaches the fence. If he keeps moving closer, he gets a shock from the collar. The flags are just a training aid, and are gradually removed over the first few days or weeks.

If you do not like the flags, just don't take customers with dogs. Or write a stipulation into your contracts that there will be a surcharge for invisible fence installation during the training period.

If you don't realize that you are now in the service industry, where you need to adapt changes on your clients properties, then perhaps you should investigate www.pissandmoan.com .

5. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

Personaly I hate these things. I'm always cutting them with either a stick edger, bed edger or aerator. Now I ask everybody if they have one and tell them I'm not responsible if it gets cut.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks GroundKprs, I do know that I am in the service industry. This was a thread designed to vent (something I don't usually do on Lawnsite) about something that just about everybody here will have to deal with from time to time over the years. Why of course I dont like the flags, do you? I "wish" I could have all "non-Dog" lawns, but that would be something over 50% of my weekly schedule!

I just found it odd that there are 3 of my customers with new installs at the same time? Kinda odd! They must have blanketed the area with a strong sales campaign.

What I'll do is just bite my lip with these customers and use it for ammo when they complain about "extra" visits when things slow down in the Summer.

7. Commander

Commander Banned

When a customer of mine has a sign up, I try to steer clear of there. It has been my experience that these things are a PITA to trim around and usually you wind up messin them up anyways. I also, in the past have heard stories about those things being projected literally THROUGH people by push mowers which were nice distances away. Tell your customers that it is a safety issue and that you will cut those turfgrass plants when the signs start disappearing.

8. Raven

Raven LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

I mark the location of the flags with marking paint as I'm removing them the first time. I mow and then replace the flags each week. They're only up for 4-6 weeks. The paint dot will last until they can come down, so you only need to mark once. Usually, after 2 or three weeks only every other flag has to go back (Check with the homeowner on this). Even with 400 flags, this shouldn't take more than 5 extra minutes.

9. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I bet they could fly well and go pretty fast, bet that doesn't feel good...:(

Hank

10. I know this belongs on the P&M site, but I just wish they'd quit using the wire flags. (thanks for the link :D )

The little plastic posts like the lawn chem people are starting to use are real satisfying when you disintegrate them with a mower.
    But the wire ones either wrap around the spindle or go into a tire!

I tell the folks that have flags that the tall grass around them helps reinforce the dogs' boundary training. When the lawn gets shaggy enough they pull the flags out. Or maybe the dog's trained by then.

BTW Don't even try to string trim around the wire ones. If you just touch one, the string wraps around the wire, yanks it out of the ground and flings it halfway across the lawn. Kinda scarry. Been there, done that!

Dave