Invoices and gratuity

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mhaley927, Apr 25, 2010.

1. mhaley927

mhaley927 LawnSite Member

I'm just starting monthly invoicing for my lawn care service. I've always just collected as I went along. So now I'm putting together something decent looking on MS Excel that I'll leave after 3 cuts and expect payment (for 4 cuts) by the time I show up for the fourth cut. SOund alright?

Well the real question is that some of my cutomers (all residential) throw in a tip each week when they pay. Should I put gratuity percentages somewhat like they do in restaurunts right on the invoice? It would be something like this:

Price per cut: $250,000
    Cuts:4

Last Month TOTAL: $1,000,000

Gratuity
    10% is $100,000
    15% is $150,000
    20% is $200,000

Please call 111-2222 with any questions about your billing. Thanks your for chooising H&H, where if you dont tip, we talk bad about you in the truck! (omit last clause form real invoice).​

Does this come across as "expecting gratuity? Will customers who already tip weekly tip monthly? Opinions are apreciated!

*I accidentally posted this in general and brought it here for more hits.

2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I think you should provide this to all you care not to do business with!

3. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

that is asking to pi$$ off customers if you ask me. I'd just let the ones that tip, to do just that.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, leave it alone lol.

5. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I you have more than a handful of customers that tip, then consider yourself blessed.

6. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

nice edit topsites! haha

7. mhaley927

mhaley927 LawnSite Member

Ok.. call me greedy, but really the point is that I dont want to chase away tips by putting in place a more rigid payment structure. I'm not the big lawn outfit in my area, I'm the college kid down the street that does just as good for less money because he can, and yes, I'm blessed with generous customers and tips.

I guess I'll just leave it off the invoice and hope for coninued generosity.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

LOL I don't even remember what all it was but I try to make it short and sweet,
    those seem to work best, and yes I almost always edit, why Idk.

9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

A tip is a voluntary additional payment made for services rendered because of being extremely pleased with the work performed. This is not something you expect, much less ever mention in any way, shape, or form.

10. i don't think 10% is right, now days its more like 15 %, don't short change yourself.