Invoices + Billing

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mikefromny, Jan 14, 2007.

1. mikefromny

mikefromny LawnSite Member

last season i used the online, microsoft word invoice billing, im pretty good with computers but i found it to be a pain in the ass and id rather use the carbon copy method anybody order them online where it says your LCO name and list of what you do an columns and you just write out the price? if so what website , im def looking to do it this way this season , let me know
    -mike

2. lawn

lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use carbonless forms. I designed my own forms from nebs.com
    I try to use quicken last year, but it was too confusing for me, I might try it again this year, we'll see, but I am pretty happy with my new forms.

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I use Quickbooks for all of my billing. I email my invoices to the customers that want me to or are out of town. I print & tape the invoices to the doors of the ones who are in town. Commercial invoices all get mailed.

4. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

I make my own forms via excel and just take them to Office Max and have them made two carbon copy. Then you can either get them numbered or without numbers. You can get as many made at one time as you want. And you can make a custom invoice for certain applications from your normal needs.

5. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Is there such a thing as carbonless paper that can be run through a colour lazer printer?

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

For you who are preparing invoices without using some kind of integrated software, such as Quickbooks, what are you doing to track expenses? You must be using some software to track income and expenses. Why wouldn't you want to integrate the income tracking with an invoice preparation package? It sounds like double work - invoices apart from income tracking.

What am I missing?

7. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I invoice everything on QB, then print out 2 copies, send one to customer, one in each customers' file. Then backup QB weekly! My accountant has one copy (monthly) and I have one copy at home. My computer crashed back in Dec. and I lost ALOT of info. It will never happen again!! (Losing info.) Once things get rolling a little better, I will go onto QB online, then all I have to do is call my accountant when I have a prob., she will pull it up on her end and help walk me through it. I couldn't imagine not being this organized. I dont know how anyone does it on just paper anymore!!

8. lawn

lawn LawnSite Senior Member

that's double work!!! I just do it one on paper that's it

9. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

I use Excel for everything.
    Time sheets with every bit of work done at every property and every stop made and anything bought that day. All done daily, monthly & YTD and compared to everythin the year before.

Invoices for every customer done daily, monthly & YTD

All expenses broken down by categories done daily, monthly and YTD

Every mile driven on both vehichles, both personal miles and work miles, every drop of gas used and every bit of maint done on both vehichles, including mpg and mileage allowance done daily, monthly & YTD

Everything is done and tracked in Excel daily, monthly & YTD

I do my books daily and back evrything up on a flash drive daily.
    I back everything up on my laptop weekly.
    I back everything up on a CD monthly.

So at the end of every day I have two copies of everything.
    At the end of every week I have 3 copies of everything.
    At the end of every month I have 4 copies of everything.

On Jan 2 my accountant gets 1 piece of paper with everything on it.

10. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

MYOB, we had quickbooks and it sucked, we switched to MYOB and it's been night and day. Anybody not using and accounting program, it realy makes life alot easier.