Invoices for lawncare

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Djk83, May 20, 2013.

1. Djk83

Djk83 LawnSite Member

What are you guys using for invoices? I am looking for something with a carbon page for my records. Also spots for the materials and lbs or gallons, wind speed etc.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Quick books.

3. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Same here, best way to go in my opinion.

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i use the cheap ones from walmart and write in any info i need to.

5. NJ Grass

NJ Grass LawnSite Member

Quickbooks. You can view all past invoices from your smartphone. You can see what you charged a client last year for mulch, clean-ups, etc and have consistent pricing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. magicmike

magicmike LawnSite Senior Member

plus its free for 30 days no cc required

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

If you are going to operate your business, you need some form of financial software to manage. And, any of the software that is useful for this industry has an Invoice feature.

Why would you consider using carbon forms, and then have to enter the information a second time? That is both time consuming, and a point of error.

I have a real concern about the viability of the business when I see this question. Most likely, the questioner is trying to manage finances "out of a shoebox." This probably means expenses and income is not being recorded. It probably means bank statements are not being reconciled. It probably means a report showing overdue payments is not being monitored. It probably means .... (add your own NECESSARY task for managing finances).

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

you don't have to enter any info 2 times. you just give them the invoice as a bill. when they pay you then write down they paid. there is nothing to write down in between. i have a calendar i use to know if someone has paid or not. it keeps track of the whole year. it's easy. this stuff isn't rocket science. you don't need a computer software program in order to keep up with everything.

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

And, how do you make week-ending reports? How do you make reports for the tax preparer? How do you monitor expenses? How do you manage a bank account? How to manage credit card accounts? If you need financing, would a lending institution have high regard for your calender?

No disrespect intended, but your process is "out of the shoebox." You have pointed out several places that are prone to error (e.g. "... write down ..."). No, it is not rocket science, but mismanagement of finances is where most businesses fail. The "shoebox" approach will only get you a short distance on the path of success in a successful business.

10. NJ Grass

NJ Grass LawnSite Member

^agree
    Posted via Mobile Device