1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Invoices for lawncare

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Djk83, May 20, 2013.

1. TaylorLandscapingLLC

TaylorLandscapingLLC LawnSite Member

Im 28, and i like to think I have a decent understanding.
  2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

could you tell someone that face to face or would you have to send them a text?

just kidding
  3. TaylorLandscapingLLC

TaylorLandscapingLLC LawnSite Member

i would facebook it!!!:hammerhead:
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

What people did ....? First, they spent much time with massive journal books, special pens and colors. Secondly, they had many people check their work, duplicating effort, to find errors. Manual entries were very prone to errors. So, yes, people managed, but with much human resources and lots of errors.

Yes, some "kids" can't live without this stuff. Do you remember TRS-80 with Visicalc? How much of a new world did this open that was formerly closed? Do you remember the coming of connected equations within spreadsheets? What kind of change did this bring to many fields, including finance? How much did the 386, 486, ... processors change to allow much faster computing?

I first started with business in 1968, but in a minor way. In 1974, I was more deeply involved, and was able to do much programming to enable us to advance our business. Off-the-shelf programs were not readily available, so we did our own home-grown programs. Having the means to manage the business financially was a very important element in moving forward. The functionality of today's software makes our efforts seem pale by comparison. Costs for software much less functional was in the thousands, over against the hundred for something like QuickBooks. No, mark that, ... that would be in the tens of thousands.

Or, take a technical track. Solving a 3X3 matrix by hand was doable, but time consuming. A 4X4 was a very significant task. By the late 1960s, we were able to handle matrices of hundreds. Having the computer to solve these simultaneous equations made engineering projects far more doable and efficient. In the 1970s, we were able to deal with matrices in the thousands, and analytical work was entirely changed. Base assumptions needed to work by hand were eliminated. Loadings, heat transfer, vibrations, and non-linear engineering problems were opened to fields formerly unknown at a time before computers.

Or, take weather forecasting .... (for another day)

So, yes, we managed without computers.

What were you doing in the 1960s, 1970s ... ? Were you still doing things without computer in the 1990s?
  5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

you are way over complicating this man. :laugh:
  6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

We started in the 70's we used ledger books and accountants. Today we use computers with custom software. If you don't want to spend big coin on custom software then quick books should be considerd
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I cant remember which year I said it, but the first time I saw a person with a cell phone, I thought...what's the point? Now here I am using my smartphone and taking advantage of its capabilities. Technology provides us with conveniences, albeit it at a cost.

I use quickbooks for the same reason. I was looking for a more automated way to keep track of everything, and have access to it while mobile. Another convenience. Could I do it with pads and carbon paper copies, and ledgers, Sure....but why?

ON a side note, I just used quickbooks reports features to determine what my costs per hour are, and broke it down to fuel per hour (on average), etc.
    It just helps me understand where I'm at, and where I'm headed. It can be done with pen and paper for sure, but im all for taking advantage of our advancements.
  8. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

EXACTLY MY POINT!!! Example: sure internal plumbing is nice to have- but who needs it?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Last edited: May 25, 2013
  9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i'm not saying you can't use computers i'm just saying it's not necessary. also pen and paper is alot cheaper than buying software programs. to me pen and paper is simple and easy to do. i have no need to use a computer program.

i spend like a min every day updating everything. it's not that complicated.

sure software would be much better if you have a large business with multiple crews and alot more to keep up with but when you have 20 customers and work alone a pen and paper work just fine.