1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Invoices Got Lost

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Sep 14, 2004.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

This is a funny story. The invoices I sent out last month got lost in the mail and now -- 30 days later -- I just realized nobody paid me!

Many of you who've been around here a while know I have the majority of my customers on AutoPay. Well, not all of them are on autopay. I still send out about 30 invoices each month. These are all older customers who were around before I offered autopay.

Anyway, so I sent out invoices last month on the 15th. And I remember thinking last month that I didn't seem to be getting hardly any checks in the mail like I usually do. But I've been so freakin' busy with work I hardly had time to stop and think about it much. And the other 130 customers who are autopay covered my expenses, so I guess I didn't miss the money so much. Today, when I went to print out my invoices for this month - I finally took a little time to review Quickbooks and realized that only 3 customers had paid me from last month. Something was obviously wrong. I checked into it and sure enough - nobody got their invoices! They all got lost, apparently. I guess those 3 people had my address handy and were honest enough to pay anyway. The other 27 never said a word.

I just sent out an explanation and apology letter with my current invoices, asking for payment for both months. They're all good on-time customers that have been around for years and years. I am sure they'll all pay up.

Anyway, so now I'll get paid double this month for each of these accounts. It adds up to over $3,000!!! I was trying to come up with some extra scrizzle this month so I could go to Hawaii in October. Guess I just found it!
  2. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear about the postal mishap. But next month will be pleasant going to the mailbox. I'm sure they will all pay up.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Add on a Hawaii surcharge to the bills. That should help.
  4. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure you did not forget to send them out? :laugh:

Any-how It will make for a nice bonus! :cool2:
  5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Jim, I am sure it will all work out and you will get the money. That is a great spin on a bad issue. Getting more money then you expected (I know you should have gotten it last month but) will be nice! Hawaii will be great!

6. JimLewis

I'm fairly sure. I know I typed them all up and stuffed them in envelopes. That part I remember for sure. And I am sure I took them down to the post office that afternoon too. And they're not anywhere in my truck or office. I remember sticking them in the blue mailbox things and not taking off the rubber band that was around them. Usually, I take that off. But I figured they'd do that. So I am thinking maybe they didn't see the rubber band and all of them got jammed in some machine or something.
  7. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Even the good old Postal Service has trucks get destroyed in wrecks, or fires in their facilities. Or on the other hand, this month you will get calls from some very confused customers who finally received last month's bill, along with the one just sent!

I've had customers tell me their bill must have got lost--but it is always the same 4 or 5 who the Post Office is messing with. some coincidence, huh?
  8. JimLewis

I was thinking about that! That happened once. A nice honest customer called one month years back and wanted my address because she never got the invoice that month. I gave it to her and she paid me. But then a month or two later, that lost invoice finally ended up in her mailbox. Maybe it just fell off the tracks and didn't get found for a while. I dunno. Anyway, wierd stuff like that happens sometimes. I just wish I'd have realized it sooner. Then again, you know you're having a good month when you don't miss over $3,000 in payments for a while. I was fortunate to be fairly busy to compensate.