Invoices - Hand written or computer?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by K.Carothers, Feb 25, 2006.

?

Invoice methods?

Poll closed Apr 26, 2006.
  1. Blank Invoice template/ hand write the details

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. 100% computer generated- no handwriting

41 vote(s)
    85.4%
  3. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Is your invoices hand written or computer generated?

kc

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I made the switch from handwritten to Computer last winter. It's much more professional, and says you mean business. I your bil resembles that of another more "important Bill" you will get paid sooner.

3. K.Carothers

I agree with you about it looking more important. I also made the switch this year. Last year, I had a template invoice and handwrote the billing on them. By doing it that way, I was able to get their invoice to them on the last cut of the month.

kc

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

printed...
    handwritten looks hokey

5. K.Carothers

What about one time jobs?

kc

6. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I used quickbooks my first year, very professional. But I switched to carbon copy invoices and write them by hand now.

7. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

i use gopher software, best thing i've ever done

8. EgansCountryGardens

EgansCountryGardens LawnSite Member

We started with handwritten, then to computer, now back to handwritten and computer. We have (after many years) perfected a four part carbon form that is an estimate, job work order, and an invoice all in one. I did this because I found the hardest part of getting the job was getting the customer their estimate (especially during busy season), so we do the estimate onsite at the original meeting (top copy), 2nd copy is for the foreman on the job, 3rd copy serves as an invoice that is signed off from the customer and the salesman when job is completed. The final copy goes back to the office where it is entered into the computer, and a computer copy goes in the mail stating paid if we feel needed. Reason for all this, is that it conditions us to

1. Get the estimate in the customer's hand at the initial meeting when they're excited about the work, and get them to sign it.

2. Helps my foreman understand exactly what is expected of the job.

3. Avoids any miscommunications between the original estimate or the final invoices. Oh yeah we try to get 50% down on all jobs and balance on completion.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Computer generated with a hand written side note sometimes with my signature.

10. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Last year we did a combination of both. This year we will be doing it more like Rod. Printed Invoices with hand written notes.