invoices.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by chefdrp, May 25, 2005.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

In making out your invoices do you wait till the end of the month like say the very last day of the month or do you kinda forcast the invoice? I did my invoices tonight and just put on them lawn maint and cutting for month of May. Seeing its a long weekend and mail wont go out till like tues.This way people will get there bill on aor around the 1st. Normally i dont even get them in the mail till around the 2nd and then the customer doesnt get it till around the 4-5.What do you guys do?

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I never forecast ahead. Wait until the entire month is finished, then do the bills that night. Mail out on the 1st.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Not quite sure about getting them out on the first, but........LOL.

Agreed on the rest.Sooner or later "forecasting" will catch you.
    Lots of things can happen before now and the end of the month.

4. 1MajorTom

ssshhhh, don't say that. I slip every once in awhile too, boy does Matt get mad. he'll say, "Jodi get off of lawnsite, and get those bills done." ;)

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Nah, The Jodi slipping?
    Nah, couldn't be............

Lawnsite?
    Where's that???????????????????????????????? :waving:

6. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont mean to actualy put down dates and say you cut them. I just put down lawn care for month on May.

7. 1MajorTom

Yes I know what you meant. But if you mail out a few days early and something happens to you where it is impossible for you to get to the lawns, then you've just charged them for a cut in that month that you weren't able to get to. I personally think it's best to just wait till the month is totally finished before billing.

8. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

What we do, although we only have a small amount to bill, is send out the last mow for the month. SO like this wednesday's customers, since next wednesday will be in June's invoice, we will get them ready and sent out. And after thursday's, send those out, and so on. This way, we get the money in a little earlier, or at least give our customers a bill on a timely schedule.
    If it gets backed up this way, then then usually still can be caught up, and still all go out around the 1st.

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

go out beginning of the fourth week of the month, i give them 3 weeks credit, they give me one. Bills are due in 15 days, if weather or whatever prevents the last cut of the month, the next billing cycle will be adjusted.

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

EQUAL MONTHLY BILLING based on the known probable number of cuts from prior years. Invoices out the 1st day of each month payment due by the 15th of each month.....trust me nothing like it! Try it and you'll never, ever go back to billing in arrears like you actually are doing now.