Invoices...?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Cheesedawg1, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

This is my first year in the business. I got a question for invoices.... or what the purpose is exactly. Do you guys drop a bill or notice telling the customer you came on a certain date or something else? If soo were can you buy the invoices to drop off in mailboxes after a lawn cut for the forgetful customers who dont ever know when you came by.

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

The purpose of invoices is to get paid.......Most of my customers I do not see but a few times a year....some I dont see for a year at at a time (all communication is through phone or email) so sending them a invoice once a month is the only way to go about get paid! Besides....sue is easier worryin about one payment a month per customer then 4 or 5....

3. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the info Evan.

4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Evan hit it on the head. I send out invoices (mail) once a month (1st day of the month) and have a due date of the 14th. 99% of them come in within a few days I have a few stragglers but I always see it.

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Cheesedawg1,

If you want to leave your invoices at the site, maybe use a door hanger envelope? It's not legal to place anything in a mailbox.

Read this post for more info.

Postmaster called

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Illegal in my area. They will collect them, and count them, and charge me $.37 each or pay a fine. Paper boxes are fine, no mail boxes here.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

It's a federal law not to put anything in the mail box, unless you work for the post office. With this being said, I would think it's illegal anywhere and everywhere. Now there might be some areas where the postman might not say or do anything, but that's his decision. Gopher, you should retract that advice. From my understanding, you cannot even leagally touch the mailbox. But, from what I understand, you can put item of advertisement on the post itself.

8. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

If you want to leave the invoice on the site I have got a great system for it. I use quickbooks for all my acounting and invoicing. And I have a little toshiba pocket pc. You can buy the quickbooks software for the pocket pc and integrate between the computer and pocket pc. I also bought a portable printer for the pocket pc. I only bought it, because I do alot of estimates and I was sick of driving all the way home to print something professional and send it in the mail. I hate sending them in the mail. I sign a higher percentage of my customers when I bring them the estimate then when I send it in the mail. So I bought that little system for that purpose. It is wonderful, and it looks very professional. Customer love that I can stand there and give them a quote. It is also nice if I the customer is home when I complete the job. I can print the invoice for them right there and walk up and collect a check, and print a receipt. I think all in all I have a bout eight or nine hundred bucks invested into the system. Worth every dime though

9. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

We also use quick books for our invoices. If you do not want to get an entire program just to do your invoices, or you do not have enough clients to warrant spending a few hundred on the program. You can get invoice forms at most any office supply store. I would recommend using invoices so you can have a written record of when you billed the customer. Before we used quickbooks we used carbon paper invoice forms so we had a copy of all of our billings.

10. IndyPropertyCare

IndyPropertyCare LawnSite Member

As a courtesy to our customers we leave a " We were here" card and check off the services performed. All of them really like it. I must admit though.... Can you tell when your grass was cut and trimmed ?? :D