Invoicing help/ideas please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eho, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I'm still a small one man operation and I picked up three new customers this year already. I'm very excited about that, but one of them wants me to send them an invoice at the end of each month. Most of my clients I just keep track of myself and I have never sent an invoice. Please let me know what you think I should do. Could I make a nice invoice on excel or word? What do you guys do? any examples or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks a lot
    PS, instead of an ad in the paper, I m considering getting a large magnet on the side of my truck. For the cost of about one month in the paper, maybe actually cheaper than that, I can turn my truck into a mobile adverstisement. What kind of success have you guys seen using these kinds of ads?

2. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Do a search on here for these type documents....there are several available. The magnet sign is ok, if your out and about ALOT. If you do not advertise any more than that, you wont have a good return on getting new customers.

3. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

If you don't have anything on your computer u can try going to staples Office max ect if if you want one with your name on it NEBS is pretty reasonable and their turnaround is quick!
    nebs.com

4. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

I went to Office Depot today, they had a computer program for invoicing for around 40 bucks and they also had forms there, but none really matched what I was looking for. I went ahead and just made me an invoice on Excel and it should do just fine.

5. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Go to office supply store...for around a $1 you can get an invoice tablet that has carbonless copies. You should be monthly invoicing all your clients.

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I don't understand how you're billing them and getting paid then??

I use a cheapy program I got from Staples. It's probably the one you mentioned seeing for $40. I think I paid about that, or less for it.
    Been using it about 2 years, no problems. Very easy to use and keeps track of most everything I need.
    All customers are sent an invoice at the end of each month.
    Other then maybe switching to credit cards, I can't see doing it any other way.

8. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

The way I collect from most people is I just keep track of it all( the people who owe me) on my own little books on excel. Most people pay me after each mowing, and if not I just keep their balance. I have only about 20 customers now, i m trying to grow, so I can keep up with it all. I realized that once I get bigger, I have to send invoices to everyone. Thanks for the advice.

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Echo, the software at Staples (OfficeMax, etc.) is called Estimates & Invoices by Proventure. It takes care of creating the invoice, tracking who owes what, payments, taxes, etc.

You don't HAVE to have an industry specific or expensive software. Especially since you're still small.

It was another member that suggested that program to me a couple years back. Definitely worth the money, and so easy! :)

10. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, I can't believe you can do that. We've been invoicing since we had like 7 clients. You need something formal to at least remind people to pay.