invoicing statement

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bflower, Dec 21, 2006.

1. bflower

bflower LawnSite Member

Hello all, your advice on this site has been invaluable to me in starting my fertilization business. for those of you running quickbooks, how do you invoice for your applications. I would like to leave a statement of service at every door complete with invoice. and is it possible to have a carbon copy of this for record keeping? what do your forms look like and where do you get them? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Brian-

2. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

If you're running QB, this should be a snap. First, create different item descriptions for each billable service (early spring, late spring, grub control ,etc). We assign a three letter code to each item for example. This will let you track revenue by item and is more descriptive to the customer.

Then create and print invoices before you service if you want to leave them as you go. QB has a number of templates you can start with that let you easily pull in your logo. You can customize the invoice form quite a bit by deciding which columns and fields to print. We print on plain pastel color paper and it looks very professional. But you can order invoice paper from QB or other vendors that has some info preprinted.

Lastly, no carbon is needed because QB saves a copy of every invoice it generates.

3. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

What he said. Although I don't need to assign a number to each item to generate a sales report per item, it does it automatically. I set up a service item as step 1, step 2, step 3 etc... and can describe each step in as much or little detail as possible. You then can generate a report for how much each step has generated in sales and how much each customer has generated in summary or detail.

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i mail mine so i know they dont get lost off the door. qb is the way to go

5. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Been using it for ten years.
    Qb lets you design your own invoice and estimate forms or use their standard forms.
    You will want to select "progressive invoice "option.
    Set up an items list for every single thing you could ever charge for and use item number as suggested earlier. ie: L-1,L-2 etc. for lawn,T-1, T-2 etc for tree.

6. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

7. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Is your invoice detailed enough to meet the PA requirements for record keeping? I currently do invoices and then a pesticied app sheet with the epa's, the rate, etc.
    I would love to eliminate this second set of paper work.

8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Been using Quickbooks for a couple of years now, but currently looking into QXpress as a front end.

It has program modules tailored to the way lawn service companies do business, and allows you to create more detailed invoices that comply with your state laws.

QXpress allows you to preprint your invoices when you set your route schedule, and after you complete the applications they are transmitted to Quickbooks. From that point, everything in QB is the same as always. The problem with preprinting invoices in Quickbooks is that they show in your AR immediately. So if you preprint your entire round of apps, the AR will be off by a large margin.

My company has always mailed or emailed invoices through QB, but QXpress just might change one of our business processes for the better. Postage is not getting cheaper. I have concerns about invoices getting lost by leaving them at the door, but for that reason every customer with email will also get an electronic copy just in case.

9. fastpitcher

fastpitcher LawnSite Member
    from PA

I use Qxpress and QB. I generate all work from qxpress and the send it to QB to make invoices. I bought caboneless paper-print 3 copy's and glue them myself. I leave one copy for the customer, the driver gets one and the office gets one. But, I also mail one-to many get lost.

Rick

10. bflower

bflower LawnSite Member

thanks crew for all the help,
    been looking into the qxpress for detailed invoice/statement. sounds like a small investment if it will save me time during the spring crunch