1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jackflash, Feb 18, 2005.

1. jackflash

jackflash LawnSite Member

does anyone invoice residential customers by leaving an invoice on the door at the last cutting of a month for all services performed for that month, instead of mailing an invoice to the customer monthly?
    would that work well or not?
  2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Why would you want to do it that way, as opposed to just creating them all at once at the end of the month and mailing them out all at once???
  3. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

screw Canada Post, $0.54 / stamp. Your at the property anyways. Whats that 2 seconds to drop it off in the box. Id rather spend that money on something else.
  4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I'm guessing you hand write your invoices then?
  5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi jackflash,

I am sure there are LCO's out there who do this. Try it out and if it works for you. Great!
  6. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

I do this with several of my customers. After the last monthly visit, I tape it to their back doors. It helps me because my invoices are staggered throughout the month. I don't have a regular billing day. These customers seem to like it that way. :D I always include a self-addressed envelope with the invoice. Some mail the payment almost immediately, others just leave the check in the envelope and tape it to their back doors where I pick it up on my next visit. No big problems except ONE LADY who failed to sign her check one time, bounced a check another, asked me to "delay" cashing another for 5 days. She is also the only customer I had last season who still owes me $50! :angry: I guess I should have seen it coming! Anyway, dropped her account, but that's another story.
  7. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

This doesn't relate directly to your original question but, since you are talking invoices, definitely get some inexpensive invoice software at Best Buy or Comp USA, etc. Doing your invoices by hand is a major pain. I bought a program by ProVenture for $15.99 that suits my simple operation just fine. Here is the website: www.Elibrium.com Good Luck!
  8. sharon

sharon LawnSite Member

Sometimes it is best to get small amounts of money after each cut instead of a larger amount. Sharon
  9. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Jackflash. That is how I use to do it. Had my usual problems w/ late pays etc. The only problems I see are giving away 4 services instead of 1, or a renter moving and you not knowing.
  10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I'm sure that all of the non-professional so called "business" owners and the teenage kids all do it that way. One could also just have them leave the payment under the door mat and then you both have saved a .37 stamp.