IOILYOUIN's Picture Thread.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ioilyouin, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Ozz

Ozz LawnSite Senior Member

Yes... It is. As I said in my job thread, I cut a lot of places like that, but where I can tow my loader. But I could log with a highline with a winch skidder. It's atually very simple, but very few people do it. You string out a skyline between 2 spar trees, buy/make a car that has a decent size winch on it, run that on the skyline, and sue the skidder to pull that along the line. Pretty cool, but you have to have a big enough drum on the skidder to pull the length of the entire skyline.

2. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

So you skid with your trackloader.. And you use chokers. How do you set your turns? Dont tell me you get off the machine and do it. Thats gotta take a long time..

3. Ozz

Ozz LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I do. I have a small winch on the back, not enough to yank a machine out of a hole, but with enough braking power to not unreel when I drag logs behind it. It takes me 20 seconds max to set a choker, and considering I run about 4 off the back it take me a max of a minute twenty sec to set. Usuall it's faster. It all depnds how the tree's felled.

4. ioilyouin

ioilyouin LawnSite Senior Member

We're finaly starting to get busy oiling roads, so I get to take some video from my truck. The first video is a view inside the cab, the key is to watch the passenger mirrors since thats the only real action. You also get a couple of minutes looking at my melon.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9mdzy4Lkjs

5. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant LawnSite Senior Member

lol @ guys on the east coast talking about "larger" turns.

6. Junior M

we cant help our land was logged hundreds of years before you.

7. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant LawnSite Senior Member

Our trees grow way larger in 30+ years then yours. Mild winters+rain.

8. Junior M

I dont know about anywhere else, but it seems our logging is alot less regulated here. The most regulated thing is mills and thats only because people are worried about who is screwing who and whose getting more money..

9. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 LawnSite Senior Member

just subscribing, nice equipment....

10. curtisfarmer

curtisfarmer LawnSite Senior Member

Larger turns??? Our trees harvested are just as big as yours out there. Don't you guys ahve a 24"+/- maximum limit? Our Eastern White Pine is regularly larger than that....and then some. Your "ideal" conditions must also be what instills the drama on the landings that we don't seem to have:laugh: Old growth, yes, regular harvestable wood...no.