1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Iphone, Blackberry or Smartphone

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by TPnTX, Jun 2, 2009.

1. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

I gotta get with the program. I'm tired of calling back to the office for info.

My needs in priority order are:

Cell phone
    excel type app.
    camera(I don't mind carrying the camera that I have)

Somewhere in there is...ruggedness if that exists. I'm not much on texting but I figure the works on any of them.

What I really want is to not loose anything as far as cell phone signal. I have to get to email. I want the screen to be usable with a the browser and I'd really like to be able to enter a few item into a spreadsheet type app to generate quote in the field that I could turn around and instantly email to the customer as we speak.

So considering all that what does everyone have ? I think the Iphone has the biggest screen but I don't know...theres a lot of blackberry fans out there too.
  2. Loooogie

Loooogie LawnSite Senior Member
    from YORK

To me it sounds like you should be looking at gettiing a nokia.

I have an iphone, it is a very clear phone but it does drop calls, it does not have turn by turn GPS, the camera is not that great, the phone is fragile, the email is not instant email like the blackberry. The iphone is awesome but not a real business phone

I think you should look at nokia, they make the best built phones, that includes great cameras, turn by turn gps, they have good spreedsheet aps, and they are build to last.
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

sounds like you need a laptop.... any little phone will do....

with WIFI almost everywhere these days. a laptop may be your best bet.... and may be cheeper too...

4. TPnTX

yeah I thought about the laptop but man, I know this sound crazy, but thats a big-ass piece of equipment to tote around. all that for a spreadsheet?

I've not considere a nokia, I'll take a look. A few smartphones run window mobile 6.1. I'm all about windows.
  5. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Checked out the Blackberry Storm yet? Seems like a pretty powerful business phone.

I've been thinking about getting one but I haven't really tested it out much.
  6. TPnTX

im limited to att.
  7. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

I had a blackberry before my iPhone and I loved the bb. However, I had slot of software issues with it and eventually it locked up so bad it couldn't be used. I decided on the iPhone and to be honest, I should have switched a long time ago! The phone works great and there are apps galore. You can even swipe credit cards with the iPhone. If I were you, get the iPhone but wait a month if you can. There is a new one coming out that is faster. There will be a huge software update ok the exsisting phones that will add a lot of really cool features. Also, get the otterbox. It turns the iPhone into nextel type ruggedness
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Kind of in the same boat, and one of the issues is that a laptop would have to stay in a hot truck for hours on end.

Let us know what you come up with...
  9. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I got a blackberry this year and I love it. Although it is not fully compatible with linux. I use sprint and I get free gps but there are plenty of online map apps that you can use as well. These phones are a powerful tool for a business owner imo.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

if you are stuck with ATT the dropping calls is a mute point, you are stuck with crappy att service.

I will second getting a laptop and a pc card.

having lived off a BB, laptop, and phone for 2 years I can tell you that looking at a spreadsheet on a PDA sucks. you get to see about 6 cells at a time.

none of them are rugged, but you can get an Otterbox for the BB which will make it rugged.