1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ipod Touch question

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tinman, Feb 15, 2010.

1. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

I want to kill my cell phone plan. don't talk much, mainly text and email. I use ipod touch for some stuff & can even talk on it with skype... but of course without mobile wifi I can't use it everywhere. I have seen some mobile wifi plans for about $60 per month which is not cheap enough to do away with cell. Any ideas? Thanks
  2. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

$40 unlimited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. tinman

from ga

Thnx Frontier but the metro pcs coverage where I am (really rural) is pretty scarce.
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I just bought an iTouch a few weeks ago. I'm beginning to see the power of having full-time access. Maybe should have opted for something else.

I am on Verizon Wireless with my cell service. Verizon offers a device, 3G Mobile Hotspot. It taps into the 3G network, which seems to be available is most all locations. It sets up a hotspot for wi-fi, up to five devices.

What I picture is having this device (small, pocket-book size) tap into 3G network, than use the wi-fi feature off my iTouch. This provides 3G service, no matter where I may be.

The device isn't expensive, but does require a data plan. I think one can get a limited plan for $30/month.

Some info:

When I got my iTouch, one primary intention was to use it for weather maps while working in the field. I now get them on my cell phone, but slow and small. I was told that many residences have wireless routers, and I could just tap into one of them for a short time to do a weather check.

I have taken my iTouch out on the street walking up and down the street. In general, I find oodles of hotspots for wi-fi, but most are locked down. In the residential neighborhoods I work, I see the access come and go as I walk up the street. Sometimes, I may be in the domain region of two or three, sometimes up to nine. But, about 90% of them are padlocked. When I do find an open one, I fire it up, pull down a map, and it is good. The key is to find enough open locations to get the timely weather maps as needed. Yes, I can drive to a Starbucks, Panera, or some other location, but I want to have access where I may be working. I'm afraid that I may find many of my customers have a wireless router, but have it padlocked down. I hesitate to ask for a password. Anybody done this? If so, was the customer open to giving it to you, knowing it would be for limited usage?
  5. tinman

from ga

Yeah I wouldn't ask for anyone's password. The touch is limited but I still will not go in for a data plan for iphone.

will check the link you sent.
  6. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

After having my ipod touch for a while I have found a few spots that work good on my route where I can pick up internet.

I would really like to pay for a full time thing for it though. Can I use that metropcs thing for my ipod touch? If so how does it work? Anyone that uses it is it worth it? good loading speeds?
  7. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Upgrade to an iphone.....you have no reason to try and run a business using an ipod......C'mon Man!!!!!