Irate Customer

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by coxlandscaping, Jan 19, 2008.

1. coxlandscaping

coxlandscaping LawnSite Member

My boss which is my uncle called me thursday that he gave this guy a price on a couple of retaining walls one was a raised plant bed down the side of the house. He said he gave this guy a price of $4000.00 to do it. He said this guy went off on him all but cussed him out John said he was so taken aback he didn't know what to say at first. We were to install an Irrigation system for him to but John said that he thought that we should just drop this guy and wanted to talk with me about it. Said that this guy told him that we were like $500.00 more than a competitor that puts in crap we have been called in to repair and do some service on systems that they put in. We will be sowing the yard for the contractor that we do work for even if we drop the irrigation. Just wondering how you all would handle people like this?

2. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

RUN AWAY!!!
    does he yell at his doctor or lawyer? YOuare providing a skilled service, if he doesn't want to pay, find someone who does.

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

^What Cedar said, that is a perfect reason to not work for this guy. If someone was being that disrespectful to me, they would be looking at my back as I walked away.

4. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

Make like a tree and leave ! The guy is apparently suffering from an extreme sense of entitlement if he thinks it's appropirate to get irrate over an estimate he thought was too high. He will surely become picky and pricky about everything you do if you continue to perform work for him.

5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I'm going to court in a few weeks........does that tell you anything?

6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

do you really need to ask? walk away.........

7. csl

csl LawnSite Member

it doesnt matter what profession you are, you will always get customers like this. i tell this too my employees all the time. the worst part is when we get customers that wait for myself or a crew leader to leave, and then yell at the remaining employees. it sucks, but its a part of business. you could pave their streets with gold, install their landscaping for free, and they would still complain that something is wrong. just the way people are.

8. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

With a shovel.

10. coxlandscaping

coxlandscaping LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice we talked it over and decided to drop him the contractor said that we would still be doing the yard because he is paying for that and if he didn't like it tough. He also said that this guy was being a real a hole to his people and didn't blame us at all for not doing it. We came to this decision after we had one of our guys moving dirt for the contractor and he came up to him and started yelling at him asking him who he was with and that he was not supposed to be there etc. That was all it took I really hate to lose business but some people you just can't work with.