Iron and Grub Control Conflicts

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Runner, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Can anyone lead me to any links or info regarding iron contets in the soil causing ineffectiveness of chemicals like dimethyl and/or carbaryl? I need some credible info like from a university, or some studies showing some numbers would be great.
  2. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

that is a very interesting question, what may i ask sparked this? did a customer have a problem and blame it on you.. (like the swimming pool algae outbreak). you might get ahold of the rep and get the manufactures input, they should be of some help on the acidic stability of the chemical in a mixture.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, it was my friend and mentor... (GC Superintendent). He has seen this before, but does not get on the internet (I told him he needs to get with the new millenium lol). I told him I'd research this, but have found no university research numbers on this. I DO know it exists, but we want to know some facts and numbers on it (ionic).
    He has been discouraged because of the fact he has some severe grub conditions coming out, and has seen limited (at best) results from Dylox and carbaryl so far. Other than the obvious limiting factors (thatch levels, flushing of water, lack of immediate water (photo breakdown), etc.), he (we) are wanting to know more about this. Knowing we should have used Merit (there is just no comparison - Merit is just a solid insurance policy), we are in this situation of having to treat them. We ARE both sending out an immediate letter to all customers regarding grubs and warning them that they DO need to have this condition looked at and immediately treated. Lack of doing so will result in severe damage in the near future. Right now, things are wet from so much rain AND we have cooler temps. If temps were back up, and the conditions turn dryer, I can guarantee that there will be ALOT more damage actually showing. i.e. - there is much more damage out there than what is even showing. We are thinking if we have to back off and use absolutely fe free products through July and Sept., then so be it. They aren't going to notice no iron in Sept., anyway, in my opinion.
    Anyway, if there is ANYone who has anything on this, it would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.
  4. mhvt

mhvt LawnSite Member

How was the Dylox applied? I remember from a semminar a few years ago that Dylox is extreamly suseptible to breakdown in alkaline water (60 to 90 minutes in a tank with water at around an 8 ph).
  5. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I always use a pretty good amount of iron on my lawns, and Dylox works for me every time. I use a 5% iron product twice a year and a 3% product once a year. Never had a problem w/ Dylox. Sevin doesn't work on grubs all that well no matter what the iron content or pH is. Interesting question, though. I am going to pass this along to a couple of guys at our Ag. Ext. service and see what they have to say.
  7. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Iron applied to the lawn doesn't harm the Dylox. Some Iron will push an alkaline spray tank (some water) higher & cause premature breakdown of the Dylox in the spray tank.