Iron Application

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobdaduke, Mar 15, 2005.

1. bobdaduke

bobdaduke LawnSite Member

Does anyone apply Iron to the yards to turn grass green instead of using Nitrogen? If so, when is best time to install Iron?

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Boobyaduke

Iron is a great additive for greening up yards. However it works better if applied with Nitrogen and Sulfur. A little Mn and Mg also will get a better Green.

I think you may find a balanced slow release fertilizer will be a better long term choices.

3. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Iron is an excellent addition to an app. program. I use it all the time. Spring and fall mostly. Ornamentals love it too. Stay away from quick release high N fertilizers. The quick greening response isn't worth it.

4. bobdaduke

bobdaduke LawnSite Member

Thank you both for your response. What do you charge for the Iron Application, im charging $65 for about a 8000 sq ft lot, does that sound reasonable?

5. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds about right depending on how much you use. Iron is pretty cheap. I pay about $50 for 5g. I run a mostly liquid seasonal program. I include iron in the price of service for tree and turf programs. I apply 5oz per 1000 sq ft a couple times per year.