Iron & Azeleas

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by B&B, Apr 26, 2006.

1. B&B

B&B LawnSite Member

I have been treating azeleas for lace bugs, some of them have white splochy areas on the leaves. I believe with time this will clear up. Until then could I give them a shot of iron to speed up the process.
  2. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

The damaged leaves will not recover. The best thing to do is to lightly prune them after they finish blooming then fertilize them with an azalea fertilizer that contains iron. This will stimulate fresh growth that will be clean and healthy. Spray them with a systemic insecticide like Orthene to prevent reinfestation.
  3. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Agreed, you need a new set of leaves that aren't stippled. Merit or Arena with a soluble fertilizer will last a lot longer than Acephate at preventing reinfestation.
  4. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Are there fert & merit combos out there?
  5. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

There are a lot of granular Fertilizer+Merit combos but they're all formulated & labeled for use on turf. Some of the lower nitrogen granular products are labeled for use in beds & this might actually work well for you.

When treating small joibs, you could mix Merit 75WP in a 5 gallon bucket with a few Tbsp of 20-20-20. I do this here at my own house & recommend my customers do the same thing for small jobs.
  6. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Feed them with "Ironite" can get it at Lowes. Good stuff maynard! Course up here Miracid works good to regulate the ph. I dont know if you have the same basic concerns with these that we do up here.

Orthene.....Mmmmmmm. Also good stuff. Love it accept for the fact that it's a cholenesterase inhibitor.