Iron concentrations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kturner, Jun 26, 2001.

1. kturner

kturner LawnSite Member

I haven't used liquid iron before and need to use it on someone's drying lawn.
    The product says to apply two gallons per square feet I think. That's a lot of refilling and mixing in a two gallon sprayer. Do you guys mix heavy, and spray light? I can't imagine spraying that much. Thanks for the help.

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Not sure what product you are using, that's too much and would kill a lawn with what I use from Lesco. Usually it's reccomended that Iron not be sprayed on stressed lawns, water is the solution. I mix Iron at 8oz per 1000sf, therefore 2.5 gallons of Iron will make 70 gallons of mix which will cover 40,000 sf.

I would use caution, if you are not sure how to do this you could kill the lawn. Why not contract out someone with a tank sprayer?

Ray

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

woohoo kirby, 8oz per 1000 is a hot iron mix. my ferromec label indicates that is the max. I have heard that will turn a lawn BLACK so I have never went that high. I go 3 oz. ferromec per thousand, which works out to 1.2-1.3 ounces per gallon in my rig. don't spray iron on a drought stressed lawn, but an otherwise healthy yellow one is begging for it. fertilize light to medium and water daily for a week, then consider iron, more fert and weed control. ya got a license RIGHT ? Dave g

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Who me?? Naw.

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

was talkiin about kturner- I ASSume you have an app. lic. lol Dave g

6. kturner

kturner LawnSite Member

Oh boy!! I just reread my msg. What I meant was, at the rate they mix (with several tablespoons per gallon), a two gallon mix of water/iron per ten square feet is recommended. I can't see using two gallons on ten square feet.
    I need to proofread my posts. Sorry.

7. powerreel

powerreel Banned

8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We use 8 oz/1000 sq ft also Kirby. All of our spraying is on Bermuda and it likes LOTS of iron. Makes it so green it will hurt your eyes!:cool:

9. Is not applying iron just applying a Band-Aid?

Up north in Bluegrass Country if the grass goes dormant from drought
    so be it, it's nature shutting down the plant in a time of great stress.

Maybe planting a different type of grass or applying other cultural
    practices are the answer.

10. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

No, not a band-aid, more like a "feather in the hat". The hat looks good, but the feather makes it look great. Plus with the little bit of potash aids in root development. Most of the time your only using iron to make a green lawn greener.