Iron problem

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rainman7, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Rainman7

Rainman7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I am having trouble with a well that has alot of iron in the water. Its giving me valve problems because of the build up on the diaphram and plunger. The pressure is not that great so I'm hesitant to put a standard filter on it. Anyone have any experience solving a problem like this?
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Make certain you aren't running down the well level to the pump location. If you do that, you pump up all sorts of 'rusty scum' that floats atop the iron-rich water.
  3. speedbump

speedbump LawnSite Member

I'm not sure what you mean by a standard filter. You can't just install a house size iron filter on a sprinkler system. It won't handle the flow or the amount of water your going to put through it.

4. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

True but you can install more then one in parallel, just so long as the total gpms are sized correctly.

3 filters that can handle 15 gpm each in parallel will handle a total of 45 gpm...

There is also the filter changes to consider.
  5. speedbump

speedbump LawnSite Member

I was referring to a backwashable iron filter. I don't think the cartridge filters would do much good as most iron is clear water iron and has to be oxidized before a filter would do any good.

I have seen them in parallel on a few job sites and they only lasted a short period of time, because they were not backwashed soon enough. The zones used far more water than the capacity of the unit and just plugged the mineral bed.