Iron Problems

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by LisaR, Jun 19, 2006.

1. LisaR

LisaR LawnSite Member

Hi there -

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct forurm.... but looking for advice nonetheless. I am in the process of building a new home (in a new condo subdivision) and noticed this weekend that the sidewalks and driveways are all turning ORANGE. I know this must be to having the sprinklers feeding through wells with high irion. I've never noticed this before, however, maybe the sprinklers had just resently been turned on for the summer? Either way, I am extremely unhappy with how this makes the property look. So, here's my question.

Is there anything that can be done to the sprinkler systems to eliminate this problem. I am to the point that I may consider pulling out of my contract if this is what my property will look like. Please advise! Thank you!

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Iron in water can be neutralized, as it would have to be, if you were going to drink it, but for irrigation only, it becomes a money problem.

3. LisaR

LisaR LawnSite Member

So then does it seem I'd just have to live with an orange driveway and sidewalks? (or else buy elsewhere?) Its hard for me to belive anyone would be happy with their hoime looking like that. Any suggestions?

4. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Adjust the sprinklers so they dont go on the path (water that is) or change the sprinkler system completely ...

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Many developments end up with city water, so one could inquire about that. Short term, though, one has to change how the irrigation water is applied. This might be one time where buried emitters could be used.

6. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Are you sure it's not from careless fertilizer applications?

-Russ

7. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Many wells around here in certian parts of town have BAD iron problems. Some houses have concrete thats stained almost a dark brownish-red everywhere the water hits it, what's worse is that the overspray that gets on the house or vinal fencing is orange too.

If that rid o rust stuff really works I could make a small fortune around here cleaning up!

9. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I used to live close to where Jason Rose is, but can't remember that problem with the water. However, I remember that the water surely tasted minerally.

Before jumping to conclusions, I would certainly want to rule out what Hank Reardon suggested regarding fertilizer. If you look at the concrete and see more individualized rusty spots rather than a total discoloration, then it could very likely be caused by iron in the fertilizer. There are a lot of people who don't take the time to blow or sweep this stuff off of cement, and it will stain easily. I'm afraid that this may not be your problem, but certainly is worth checking off.

10. greenhorn123

greenhorn123 LawnSite Member