Iron & Rain

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenUtah, Oct 4, 2005.

1. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Knowing that water is your usual carrier when applying liquid iron products, what are your feelings of apping in the rain when color is your primary focus, knowing the foliar uptake nature of your product?

2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Since the liquid iron is foliar absorbed, I avoid spraying during a rain event.

Also I instruct my customers to avoid watering the lawn for 24 hours after applying liquid iron.

It seems the question here involves the efficacy of the iron if it is washed into the soil versus being foliar absorbed. Many of us apply granular fertilizers that have iron included in the mix. In that case, the iron is broken down at the soil level and it seems to do the job.

So then does it really matter?

3. GreenUtah

from SLC, UT

THAT is the question! lol...for instance, in our alkaline soils, there is plenty of naturally occuring iron in the soil, however, ph issues has tied it up and made in unavailable to our plants. So, we add iron. True enough, granular products with iron in them will green the grass, but not the way a liquid chelated product will. So does it become an issue of the iron becoming somewhat bonded as it sits in the soil, making for less effectiveness or is it just superior to have foliar intake under any condition? Do you think that an adjuvant would increase foliar intake of iron in that circumstance? hmmmmm

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I've read on product labels that when using liquid Iron in conjuction with a herbicide, you can often get away without surfactants. If that is the case, the Iron itself acts as an adjuvant.

5. GreenUtah

from SLC, UT

but I think that we all know that you can't let liquid iron sit with your herbicides as it quickly degrades. Actually, this is an area I would like to know more about if anyone would like to offer their input.