1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Iron stains on uniforms

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LawnTamer, Apr 6, 2006.

1. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

We've been spraying iron for a few weeks this spring and already we're getting some fe stains on the front of our pant legs, has anyone found something that works really well for removing them? I've thought about trying a little CLR or other rust remover in the laundry, anyone tried it before? I want to keep our uniforms looking somewhat nice.
  2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Consumer Reports publishes a "How to clean anything" book. Check your local library, or anybdy with a subscription to the mag. they should have one.
  3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

try some of the iron out products that you can add to water softeners. I think it says you can add it to laundry.
  4. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Most iron will come out in the wash IF you wash in cold water with a fairly decent detergent. Heat and chlorine are your enemy when you are trying to lift iron out of clothing. If you do have set stains, there are quite a few laundry products out there specifically made for iron stains and can usually be found on the top shelf(out of eye range for normal browsing) at the grocery store. Rit makes one, Wisk makes one, etc. etc. They are designed for whites and colorfast fabrics (they're an acid) so don't use them on things like jeans. CLR may be the same formulation, but who knows..lol..grab a box and compare the label, just like everything else, right?
  5. Greg Amann

Greg Amann LawnSite Member

6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for!