1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'LESCO' started by stryper, May 23, 2005.

1. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

Bob (or anyone)...can a product like Lesco Iron + Chelated be successfully/correctly applied by a homeowner with a hose-end sprayer? Or does Lesco have another product that a homeowner could use for a quick green up w/o the stress of too much nitrogen in the summer?

2. Bob West LESCO

Bob West LESCO Sponsor

I talked to Jay Winter, our fertilizer product manager, and here's what he said:

LESCO's Iron + Chelated is a true liquid product and can be sprayed through most liquid fertilization equipment, including hose-end sprayers. The primary issue with hose-end sprayers, in all spray applications, is that the delivery rate can vary as water pressure changes. This makes it more difficult to make precision applications. This may be less of a concern in fertilizer applications than in pesticides, but is still worth noting.

Another product that may offer a green-up with a limited application of soluble nitrogen is 5-10-31 with 10% Iron. The Iron + Chelated will produce more rapid results, as it is a foliar application, but 5-10-31 with 10% Iron is an excellent granular product to apply at times of potential stress, with the high potash content and the 10% Iron for greening.

Hope this helps,
  3. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

Answered my question...thanks.
  4. Holistic Landscapes

Holistic Landscapes LawnSite Member

Just thought I'd say that! Hope everybody had a great Fathers day! :blob3:
  5. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

Is ther no concern with all of the K coming from MOP? Intheory this is a good product -- but with the burn potential of MOP it sems dangerous to use as a summer fert. The other problem is spreading it at a lowrate as prescribed by the label. 3.2#/1000 is a tough rate to achieve using a lesco spreader and a blended product

If lesco made this product with SOP - I'd buiy it by the palllet -- but no way 'm puttign that mush MOP on my lawns.
  6. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

I've never had an issue with the 5-10-31 burning turf. Have been using it for many years.
  7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

LonniesLawns - I am having a hard time finding ANY fertilizer made by Lesco that uses SOP. Even my old standby, Andersons, is offering less choices with SOP. I'm going to have to look to other vendors to find a good, quality fert with SOP. I'm thinking of trying Lebanon (again).
  8. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

Do you use a lot of MOP in your program?
  9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

As little as possible. I'm not a big fan of MOP at all, but it is really hard to find a pre-emergent fert without it. If I had my way, I'd only use SOP.
  10. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

If you're looking for a good summer fert, try Lesco's 14-0-27 mini prill. It's 100% slow N, strictly SOP, 2% Iron, and you can get excellent coverage even at low rates. but it costs like $22 a bag.

Or you could try and mix your own, one bag of 39-0-0 100% slow N + one bag of 0-0-50 SOP. (averages out to about $20-21 a bag).