Iron

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by macaw, Jul 10, 2007.

1. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

Would it hurt to put iron on a lawns that are turning brown from lack of rain.

2. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Postpone or Reduce Fertilizer Applications
    Due to increased stress and reduced growth of grasses during droughts, fertilization should be reduced or postponed until adequate rainfall is available. Trying to maintain a green lawn through nitrogen fertilization at this time will place the grass under additional stress and may affect recovery. Also, many fertilizers have a high salt content and can actually burn the grass. For a quick green-up, soluble iron may be applied, but the results will not last for long.

Lawn care professionals have a wider selection of fertilizer materials and application methods available to them and may continue to apply fertilizers at low rates throughout a dry period.

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

As Grasswacker stated, nothing (except water) should be put on a drought stressed lawn, unless you put profit before plant viability.

4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Just read an article that said the ideal time to put down iron is when a lawn is drought stressed. Something to do with the grass shutting down the mechanism to make the iron available for uptake when it gets drought stressed. Chelated will give your the quickest recovery, but a granular will work after a little time.

If the lawn is brown and crunchy?? Doubt if it would work. Try paint or prayer.

5. Grassmechanic

What??? Where's that article. That goes against conventional thinking, especially if one adds a fert to increase iron uptake (which I do). Anyways, provide a link to it, if you can. Thanks!

6. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

There is a article in Lawn&Landscape page 18 Weathering drought condition.
    It might be on there web site www.lawnandlandscape.com it talks about using a
    a 1:1 fertilizing of nitrogen & potassium (slow release)and adding iron for green up.

7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Don't have a link, it was printed and handed to me. Written by a Dr. Richard Smith from VA Tech.

8. Grassmechanic

Well there ya go.

VT isn't even in the top tier of Agronomy schools. More credence would be given if the article came from a more respected Agronomist from, oh say, MSU, Purdue, Penn St., Rutgers, Texas A&M, amongst a few others as well.

Jerry Baker may as well written it.

9. WorkinIt

WorkinIt LawnSite Member

10. Grassmechanic

You're the joke. Maybe in your little world (and ncsu), Vt is the top, but when it comes to WORLDWIDE recognition in Agromony, VT is a virtual unknown. One simply has to pick up ANY textbook on turf to see who's who. I bet that VT uses textbooks written by professors of other universities.

I'll stand by my statement and put any of those schools up against VT. It wouldn't even be a contest...