iron

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobbygedd, Mar 3, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

does anyone apply iron as part of a program. whats a good product?

2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I dont apply just iron by itself. I use a fert that has Fe in it already.

3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have found if you fertilize there is really no need for iron. It makes no difference.

Mark

4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

There are several ways to apply iron. Being a micronutrient, it is difficult to over apply for several reasons - mostly soil chemical ones.
    Dependent upon the type of soil, pH, available moisture etc, you can include a granular iron with a fertilizer.
    Or you can do what I have done, acquire a trace element package that is all micronutirents + P-K but no N, and apply that inaccordance with a soil test. I will apply the N separately.
    I apply this trace package twice a year, usually fertilize at least 7 times pr/yr at 1lb/mnth and should the customer wish a deeper green, apply a separate form of granular Fe.
    My experiences have been a deeper, longer green than from ferts that have Fe attached.
    Also, due to the contents of the micro package, my turf is healthier.
    The customers both like and pay for what I am doing - and it is bringing in more as I write, so I'm happy.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I do the same thing. The fert. I use has iron right in with it.

6. Still havent answer my questions on winter N!
    FE helps green the turf instead of using high n! Agree with other post, use fe in existing fert. Real benefit of fe is for stress. Much research done at virgina teck. Sugest rate of 4 to 5 lbs per acre per year.