Ironite question

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by wildstarblazer, Mar 18, 2013.

1. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a similar product like Ironite granual that we can purchase that is more cost effective.? Haven't called John Deer guys yet but they are an hour from me anyway.

2. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Some fertilizers are very high in iron and possibly equally cost effective. In testing on my own lawn I tried numerous times to intentionally put dark green racing stripes on my lawn area. Ironite didn't do squat for me at least.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Nitrogen causes the turf to grow fast and dark green. Iron stains the grass blades a blackish-green color, for two weeks, (at least that is my experience).
    Two products--different purposes. Buy them separately.

Iron chelates with other micronutrients are better and more costly--I am not sure if they are worth the extra.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Many times lawns don't need the extra iron and sometimes you can see the difference... we have lotsof Fe in the irrigation waters, but still seems to help sometimes...
    Milorganite Fe is 4%and that means 4 pounds per hundred or roughly 1.5 pounds/36 pound bag...
    When I compared prices last year, the Milorganite was cheaper and the N was free...

5. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Most of my concern is Centipede lawns that are sensitive to regular ferts. Milorganite and Ironite become so expensive to use because most lawns here are well over 10,000 sq ft. My price would be so high that customers will be like, Chemlawn quoted so and so etc.. etc..

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't seen any cheap Fe... perhaps you don't even need it... :)