1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by hvychev77, May 15, 2006.

1. hvychev77

hvychev77 LawnSite Member

I live in North Carolina with an acre sized yard. Last fall i aerated, seeded the lawn, and put out starter fertilizer. I did the crabgrass pre-emergent with fertilizer early spring, and just put the weed and feed out recently. So far i've been pleased with the results. I've been using Scott's brand fertilizers because Lesco is quite a trip for me to go get so, i went with what i knew. I was wondering if anyone has any experience on lawns using ironite? I was told by someone that it's good to use in the summertime to help keep the yard nice and green. My grass is all Kentucky fescue. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks.........
  2. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

Look, please don't take this the wrong way.. but did you try "searching"?

The only reason I say this is because I think I've seen 4 to 8 posts about this in the last week or so.

I just searched for "ironite" on this site and came back with about 4 pages of info.

Give it a try and check back with more specific questions if you have any. I've personally never used it and think your maintenance so far this year seems to be on the right track although I personally won't go anyway near Scott's products. Glad to hear your getting results with it as I've met no-one else that has anything "long-term" good to say about their product.

Instead of Lesco, you could ask the locals if there is a Feed Mill around. (Find a crop or animal farmer, or someone that has horses and ask where they get their feed from.) 10 to 1 says they'll point you to a feed mill that will "probably" have what your looking for, for alot less $$ than Scott's. Our local mill carries Lebanon product and I've been extremely happy with the results.... and so have my friends I've sent there.
  3. hvychev77

No, i didn't search here but did a little on the internet. I was just trying to see if anyone had any experience and blah blah blah........But thanks for the point in the right direction. I did find out in the meantime that there is a Lesco plant closer than i thought and i heard that Home Depot carries it here as well so. Next year, after reading all the input i'm gonna give it a try I do believe. Thanks a ton..........
  4. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

So why wait? Lesco has all sorts of products that will do well as your next "step," many of which contain iron. And some with higher iron content than Ironite. And if that's not enough, they have some, like this, which are practically nothing but iron.

Personally, I like iron as a little supplement to my regular feedings. I try to get it in whatever product I am applying, but if it's not there, I will put down Ironite once or twice a year in between treatments. I'm just a homeowner, but my lawn looks great. I do soil tests every couple of years and take the results to Lesco and listen to what those guys have to say.:drinkup:
  5. hvychev77

well i've already put out my weed & feed for now. So, i'll have to wait until this summer sometime. i guess i could talk to them for my next step in the summer and see what they have to suit me. Would it hurt the lawn to put some iron down along with my weed & feed? Any more suggestions?.......Thanks a ton guys!
  6. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

I'd do it...heck, I have done it. But then, I like to experiment, and I don't mind spending a few bucks if it will give my lawn that extra edge. Why not stop by your local Lesco and see what they have to say? My guys seem to know what they are talking about, and they enjoy talking about it. Very helpful--and no, I have no affliliation with Lesco, just an interest in the same subject matter.

FWIW, iron is one of the "secrets" to getting that incredible green you see in professional venues. :cool2:
  7. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

Ironite will give you that quick green, and yes, it's used extensively in pro athletic fields (albeit in liquid form) to give them that unnatural green that they're paid to maintain. However, Iron is only one out of several different elements that grass needs in order to be green. Remember back to middle school science....grass is green because of Chlorophyll, not Iron. Iron is a quick fix, but you may need more than that to keep the grass healthy. Best bet is to start using a higher quality fertilizer that will have more of the micronutrients available, like those found at Lesco (for example. 24-5-11 is 50% slow release and contains 10% iron). Besides, one thing that you will find out with Iron is that it only lasts for so long....the real fix is to simply grow a healthier lawn. Hope it helps...
  8. hvychev77

Thanks guys. I've seen so many good looking yards on this website and it makes me jealous. I'm not in business for myself or anything i just want a yard that makes people look twice, ya know? I've gotten started fairly well i think. I've already contacted the folks at Lesco and i'm going to take them a soil sample and get set up on a program. Do you guys have any idea how long it takes to get it looking good? My yard has got some weeds for sure but i've seen a lot worse...........Thanks:drinkup:
  9. Pittsburgh Panther

Pittsburgh Panther LawnSite Member
    from N.W. Pa

I wish I would of went with all kentucky blue also. Instead I did a blend. Maybe in about 5 year I will kill the lawn and start all over again. My wife might kill me though. LOL
  10. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

Yeah, what he said. :clapping:

Sounds like you're on the right track...good luck. :drinkup: