Ironplanet

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by qps, Jan 5, 2008.

1. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I did a search with not much luck, has anyone here purchased equipment from Ironplanet and if so how was the experience???? some of the equipment seems to sell for a decent price.

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I have spent about 30K on IronPlanet total. I have also sold attachments on the site as well. I have nothing but good things to say. The prices are usually good, like any auction all it takes is one other guy to spoil your good deal. The biggest issue is the trucking cost. You have to be very careful. Living out here in the sticks makes it worse, most equipment seems to be on the other side of the Mississippi.

3. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I too have purchased from Iron Planet. The piece I bought was exactly as advertised. The handling of the sale, transfer of money, arrival of piece was professional, painless, and on time. I would do it again.......and have tried, but have been outbid on my last 4 attempts. As Ksss mentioned, freight/trucking can be a real deal breaker......become familiar with trucking prices before you buy. As an example, the bids I got for one piece ranged from $500 to $1,800.

4. qps

from Indy

Thanks guys...:drinkup:...not to change topic but do any of you do demolishing??? its almost impossible to get insurance here for it and the licensing requirements from the city are....very hard to say the least to obtain...one would have to do a great deal to make it worth it...

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

My insurance carrier does not have an issue with it. The City requires a permit but does handle any type of licensing for it. Living in a big town probably has a lot to do with it. Is there an area just below full scale demo that is not so restricted or is it any type of demo? Maybe you can get your feet into it without having to fully commit.

6. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Insurance is a funny animal........ask your agent for different "titles" that they can insure. In some of their titles/classifications you can do light demo as long as it is not the primary scope of work. Or, you could partner-up with a guy who has a full blown demo-excavation license/insurance on a per job basis.

7. dirtworksequip

dirtworksequip LawnSite Member

I've purchased 5 different machines with a value of $240,000 over the last few years through ironplanet. Three machines were as good or better than the inspection report and I was 100% satisfied. One had a lot of minor things wrong that the inspector should have seen, and were fixed by myself for a little over $500.00. The LAST machine I bought was a 2004 Caterpiller 287B that had the boom bent. It was not reported in the inspection report, not visible in any of the inspection photos. I noticed it while it was still on the lowboy that was delivering the machine,so it wasn't like something that should have been missed by someone doing a thorough machine inspection. I promply filed and followed ironplanets "ironclad guarantee" instructions for a claim. After going round and round with one of their representatives I was turned over to a higher up. They even went as far as to block my email. I had to change to another email address to slip by them to gain access again. It turn out to be a nightmare and a big waste of my time. The ironplanet's "ironclad guarantee" isn't worth the time it takes to read it. I got absolutely no satisfaction on correcting the problem. The only suggestion I can make is to look at and scrutinize any photos of a machine you are interested in. And remember that the inspection report is only as good as the inspector. Would I buy from the ironplanet again...........probably,but I will do so with great caution. The online auctions seem to bring higher prices than in person auctions and even with an "ironclad guarantee" an auction machine is "as is,where is"

Sincerely, Dirt

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

That is good to know. I have probably put more faith in the guarantee than I should.

9. dirtworksequip

dirtworksequip LawnSite Member

ksss, yes I was 100% satisfied with the first 3 machines I bought. I always looked over the pics real close trying to discern anything that may have been missed by the inspector. The first three were pretty good only missing a few minor things which is understandable. The forth machine I just chalked up to a somewhat laxed inspection an I just ate the $500+ extra expences to make the machine right. The 5th and last machine was just totally misrepresented.............maybe not intentionally,but never the less it was not a correct inspection. I pressumed that the ironplanet would make it right. Needless to say they did everything they could to NOT make it right. I really thought they would at least refund the commission I had paid. NOT! I figure they are so big that one little guy like me isn't going to make a bit of difference in their bussiness. Just another life lesson learned I guess.

Sincerely, Dirt

10. qps

from Indy

I was looking at the used dozer market....there are some good deals to be had..low hour machines at 1K and under for half the price....