1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Irregular Paver Edge - How To Do It

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JimLewis, May 28, 2008.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

So I am working on this really big bid for a job we are going to do. And my designer has designed this large paver patio (about 2650 sq. ft.) with an irregular edge on it. There are to be very few if any curves or straight edges around the patio. It's supposed to end naturally with no cutting. I like the no cutting part. But now I am trying to figure out how to hold in the pavers at the border of this patio.

(See close-up illustration below from the design I am working on)

So would I still use just your normal plastic edging restraint and just custom cut it and bend it at every 90 degree turn? Or would you mortar down the edge? My guys are not skilled at mortar work so that scares me. Besides, this will be set on a sub-structure of clay, with several inches of compacted gravel and then sand. What would I mortar them to anyway? I am not sure how else to do it other than just custom place the plastic edge restraint accordingly. Anyone ever done one like this before?

2. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

How big are those pavers? From the pic, it looks like larger ones - 12"+. My gut would be to cut and bend the edge restraint. If they are smaller, that might not be such a good idea. I'd be interested in other responses, however, as I'd love to do a patio similar to that idea.
  3. JimLewis

Well, on the design he's made them a little larger than they will be in reality.

In reality, the pavers we're using will be a combination of

12" x 12"

6" x 12'

6" x 9"

3" x 6"

To accomplish this look, we won't be actually changing direction with every single paver, as he drew. It will be more like a small section of pavers approx. 12"-24" long then a 90 degree turn. But we'll still have that jagged-edge look.
  4. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I think you will have to curve the paver edge andcut pavers to fit in the curves.
  5. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

Just thinking out loud here but...what if you ran the edging in longer straight runs and then poured concrete to fill the gaps, leaving the concrete lower than the paver tops so it would be covered by soil/mulch. This way, the concrete would essentially act as another paver thus making the edge even.
  6. JimLewis

Actually, that's not half-bad! I kinda like that idea. When I first read it, I was thinking, "Huh? Then I'd have an area of planting bed that couldn't ever be planted." But as I thought about it more, it doesn't have to be a very large area. Just curve the edge restraint around the pavers as closely as possible - staying within a few inches and then pour concrete in the 3"-9" gaps you are left with. cover it up with mulch and nobody knows the difference. I like that!!
  7. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking ab9ut the bit where it couldn't be planted but thats easily disguised with soil/mulch. Keep the concrete 1" lower and you're golden. I'm not sure what you'd do for reinforcement for the concrete, or if thats even needed, but it seems like a pretty good idea.
  8. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I would put stone dust to the top of the brick, even a 1/2" higher, then dampen it and compact with a hand tamper. Then I would compact the patio, compacting against the edges not with the edges. I have a trick that when I compact on any patio or walkway surface I let the compactor run right up to the border and I pull it back, kind of takes some practise but the borders never move. Easier than restraint and nails, and cement and mulch ......
  9. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

what if you have it fade into the landscape, gradually reducing the amount of stone until nothing, but that still doesn't solve the problem of how to restrain it
  10. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

permaloc makes an aluminum restraint that could work really nice on that.