1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Aug 6, 2008.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Has anyone taken a look at these products yet?

I had coffee with Don Walker the other morning.

He explained to me why he thinks (I agree) his products are better than Add-A-Zone or Doubler and gave me some literature that I found time to review more thoroughly last night.

Seem to be good products with good contractor pricing. He offers more discount for one-of samples.

The trouble with waiting for a problem to order one is that most distributors aren't going to have these on the shelf. So, I'll order a couple to try them.

I'd like to hear opinions from tough judges like Fimco, ML, Boots, Kiril, etc...

The Irrigander sponsor forum has some good diagrams and a photo of one of the circuit boards... and explains the products pretty well.

Don isn't an aggressive sales guy like some other Lawnsite forum sponsors... he's an electrical engineer who had a problem with his own sprinklers, looked at solutions already on the market, and figured he could do better.
  2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Didn't look real hard for this info, but I also didn't see it in the pdf's I checked.

1) clamping voltages
    2) NEMA enclosure type rating

Also might be nice to see a chart of controllers and whether or not the encoder will actually fit inside the controller cabinet.
  3. duwaprod

duwaprod LawnSite Member

Hi Kiril,
    Good questions!

The Encoder is designed to meet NEMA Type 1 (General Purpose) and the Decoder is designed to meet NEMA Type 6, however we do not recommend that the Decoder run continually submersed. While the products have been designed to meet these standards they have not been certified. The Encoders are made from flame retardant ABS and meet UL's highest flame rating of UL94-5VA. The Decoders are made from ABS that meets UL94V-0.

The Encoders are designed to mount just below the controller with the wires from the Encoder going into one of the knockouts on the bottom of the controller. The sizes for the Encoders and Decoders are in the online user manuals but most of the Encoders are 5.125"(L) x 2.80"(W) x 1.00"(H).

By clamping voltage I believe you are referring to surge suppression. We use MOV's that start to conduct at 35vac and clamp at 110V@250A. If that is not what you are asking clarify and I'll get the answer for you.

4. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We have used the Irriganders and keep several on hand. When we need them, we need them NOW!

They have worked flawlessly for us. If it is necessary to mount the unit outside the controller, they look great.

My two cents worth.

5. sprinklerchris

sprinklerchris LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

What did he say makes it better than the Add-A-Zone?
  6. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm not an EE, so I have a vague understanding.... and Don could explain it much better.

He said something to the effect that the Add-A-Zone (which I have used with success) works by somehow splitting and using half of the alternating current to run each zone separately... but maybe I didn't understand him correctly.

The impression I was left with from my conversation with Don is that the Irrigander is more robust, and applies full power to the solenoids, with little or no moving parts....

But again I'm no EE, and the product literature doesn't make any comparisons with the competition, just explains how their various products can be used in different scenarios.
  7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Finally looked at their site, smart idea turning wire run into a two-wire system.
    I assume it works on 18 gage multi-strand?
  8. duwaprod

duwaprod LawnSite Member

Hi Mike,
    Yes. The Irrigander Pro family of expanders is designed for retrofit installations that will typically use 18 gauge multi-strand. We spec the maximum distance at 1000' between the Encoder (at the clock) and the Decoder (in the field). The multi-strand can be shared between the field wire connecting the Irrigander Pro Encoder and Decoder and field wires where valves are connected in the typical way. The Irrigander Pro Decoders use the system wide common for their second field wire connection.

9. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Am I reading this correctly? The Irrigander Pro actually uses the common as the "hot" side?
  10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Who cares? It's a cool idea for the guys that inherited a system that was