Irrigation and Lawn Maintenance Crew Size

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by SamIV, Mar 7, 2003.

1. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

I was curious as to the size of crews most of you use who do lawn care (mainly mowing), and irrigation installs. How much irrigation vs. lawn maintenance.

Thanks,
    Sam

2. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

For the most part, we use 3 man crews for maintenance and 4 man crews for installation.

3. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

We will use 3 man crew for irrigation installs, 2 1-man crews for irrigation services, 2 2-man crews for lawn maintaince, and other crews for the other services we offer such as fertilizing and landscape.

4. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

our lawn maintenance division has 3 men/crew. this has produced good results for us. this season, on the advice of ed laflamme (green industry consultant) we will experiment with a 2 men/crew. maybe production will increase?

in regards to irrigation, installation crews for systems under 9 zones are 3 men/crew. bigger projects warrant more labor.

service crews differ. for service on new installations (systems under 3 years) one tech.

service crews for systems over 3 years and commerical buildings: 2 techs

5. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats exactly how we do it...for some larger installs we bring on an additional man or two...but for 90% of our work the 4-man crew works best.
    :blob3:

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I have always found for residential that 2-3 works best.
    For service, only one man. Any more than that and the others just stand around watching one guy in a hole.

7. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

i can't argue with that dana!

8. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys,

Guess it's time to rehire. Have more business than I can handle at the moment. Once again, I apreciate all the input.

Thanks,
    Sam