Irrigation and LEED certification

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bobw, Apr 29, 2008.

1. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have any thoughts (intelligent or otherwise) on how best to design an irrigation system to support a commercial building getting LEED certification? I just won a bid on supplying the irrigation, now they've come back to me asking me to supply an alternate price based upon trying to support a higher LEED rating.

So.. anyone done anything in this area?

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I missed something in my retirement..what is LEED?

3. brookviewlawncare

brookviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

4. bobw

I had pretty much figured on an ET controller and doing drip for the shrubs, tree bubblers on trees. The biggest challenge appears to be the few areas of turf. I really don't like the thought of putting down miles of netafim for the turf... even at nice commercial rates....

5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i'm suprised with the LEED they are even putting in irrigation, the whole premise with that is to minimize energy use so they stress drought resistant shrubs and grass

what might be a possible is to suggest catching all of the roof drains into under ground holding tanks then using that to irrigate with

6. bobw

Definitely a big part of the LEED environmental aspect is to use hardy native materials.

I don't think the city planning commission gives a damn about that. They force all commercial buildings to have irrigation; any multi unit housing must have irrigation, etc. If the planning commission feels that a place won't be occupied by the owner, they force irrigation as part of the permit approval to ensure that the grass gets watered. Other than being the beneficiary of this, I have mixed feelings to the approach.

7. RainBird Sam/prs spray heads, I-20's or rotors with check valves for lowend drainage , rain sensor, freeze sensor, wind sensor, Et controller, drip irrigation- etc... Like you stated..also system set up with correct hydrozones ...anything on the premise of "water conservation"...
    I was just talking with a friend about Leeds this past weekend....

8. Dirt Digger2

from PA

they will take a hit on their points rating with any type of irrigation so as long as you eliminate run off then you should be good

i have sat through so many lectures and readings on all this LEED crap it boggles my mind...for the amount of time, money, and materials it takes to get these buildings to achieve any type of LEED rating i would like to see some real numbers on energy savings and how long it takes to make back their money, rather then the theoretical numbers they always give

9. Dirt Digger2

from PA

hey Bob w i have a whole PDF file on LEED for residential homes if you want to take a look at it...there is a whole section for irrigation and what is required for it and like i mentioned before there are 4 points for water recycling from roofs

PM me if you want me to email it to you

10. bobw

DD2 - you have a PM... muchas gracias