Irrigation and Napolean Dynamite...Related? You bet.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know how many of you guys have seen Napolean Dynamite, but if you haven't you should.

I just saw a screen capture of the "time machine", and realized that part of it was made of out PVC fittings, including half of a flowspan telescoping coupler (slipfix).

Funny stuff.

[​IMG]

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

You really are a sprinkler geek.

3. Luke in Nebraska

Luke in Nebraska LawnSite Member

Love that movie. Did you notice at the very end of the movie when they are playing teather ball, that there are gear drive rotors running behind them, but they sound like maxi paws.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

R-50's look like gear drives, but have a impact sound (ball drive really).

I'll have to look again.

5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Umm, me thinks that the R-50s don't sound like impacts. FWIW, the R-50s have that constant speed gear sound regardless of which way the head is turning while the impacts do not.

At any rate, I wouldn't try to pass through the airport terminal with such a device that you show in that picture, Jon.

6. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually they make a 'clucking' sound - hence the nickname "Chicken-in-a-bucket" :rolleyes:
    Jerry

7. DGI

DGI LawnSite Member
    from SE Mich

It looks like they used multiwire as well.

8. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I actually made a device similar to this back in high school for an electronics class. A very similar metal box with five neon lights on top of it, , a speaker, and a switch. The label on it said "UNIVAC", but the unit was nothing more than a light flashing funny sounding thing. Now mind you, but this was back before LEDs. The thing had a 90 volt battery in it.

What's this "Chicken-in-a-bucket" R-50 stuff? Well let me tell you that these little chicks have been clucking away flawlessly at my place for a number of years now. Can't get no respect. So... if R-50s cluck, then what do impact heads do??? Hiss like snake heads?

9. Luke in Nebraska

Luke in Nebraska LawnSite Member

The sprinklers are moving way too slow to be R-50's

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Impacts stutter?