Irrigation apprentice

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by hickory, Jun 28, 2005.

1. hickory

hickory LawnSite Member

I'm looking to gain some irrigation experience. Anyone in CT willing to sponsor me? I would be willing to help with projects in Connecticut free day labor in order to gain the necessary knowledge.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

It takes a lot more than a day to learn to do it well.

3. AceSprinkleRx

AceSprinkleRx LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Is that what she told you! :p

4. turt

turt LawnSite Member

I believe he said "day labor" not "a day of labor"

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Ah, quite right.

Either way, I'd reccomending hitting the books and researching everything you can, but even bookwork won't prepare you totally, you need lots of hands on experience. Getting angles right (especially if you are using a vibratory plow) is an art to itself, and it takes practice.

6. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

jon, would you reccomend a book or two? i would like to install a system on my own yard and don't know where to start....

i am thinking of letting Rain Bird do a free system design for me. how about the installation? any suggestions?

7. AceSprinkleRx

AceSprinkleRx LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I picked up 'Irrigation System Installation and Maintenance' by the Irrigtion Association and 'Trouble Shooting Irrigation Control Systems' by Bill Derryberry as starters. There are other good materials there as well. www.irrigation.org

In my area I'm starting very small, helping out a few friends when I can. This next week I'm starting a small simple ad for sprinkler service, maintenance and repair in the Service Directory section of our local paper in the Directory Service.

It's just not possible to get a part-time gig with one of our local guys then go into competition with him so I want to start small with hopefully 1-2 small jobs a week. Hopefully I can pick up a good share of blowouts and winterizing this Fall.

Ace