Irrigation around pond?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Farbio, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Farbio

Farbio LawnSite Member

A contractor I do work for owns a small natural pond. He has decided that he wants to put sprinklers around the perimeter of the pond. He asked me if I was interested. I told him I would look into it. I imagine I would pump water out of the pond as a water source. How big of a pump do I need. I know he is having the power company come out to approve it and bring electricity to the area. Anyways do any of you have any experience with anything like this. I am just looking for any kind of input you might have. Thanks.

2. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

You will need to determine the number of heads you will need and the pressure loss associated to fee d them. Remember a rotary head doesn't like to see much less than 30 PSi at the head. On a pump situation, I like to try and keep it around 40. That way, I have a bit of a fudge factor. If you do not have much of an elevation change, a 1 HP Flint and waling high pressure pump would probably work. At the hpump, you will get 23 GPM at 50 PSI.
    Use 1 1/4 inch line for the main line, feed the other zones in to the center of each zone with 1 1/4 inch and you can use 1 inch for the laterals.
    Don'rt forget a pump start realy and plumb the pump properly so you can easily prime it.-Mike

3. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

don't forget to install a filter at the end of the pipe that pulls the water from the pond. also, a check valve at this place will keep the pump primed. also i suggest using a union to connect the pipe pulling the water from the pond to the pump. this will allow for easy removal for winterization. also use a union for the main line leaving the pump so you may remove pump for safe storage during the winter.

we have installed many of these types of systems. the latest was for a nursery that dug its own pond to irrigate the plant material. we kept pump in their maintenance shed.

you will need to build a protective shed to protect the pump from the elements.

where do you plan on placing the timer? seems like it will be an outdoor timer in a weather proof box. i would have electrician hard wire timer to power source.

just my .02

good luck.

brian

4. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Your post sounds as if you have no clue about irrigation. My advice is get a qualified designer from a local irrigation house to design it for you or the owner and you just install it.