Irrigation Associations

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JimLewis, Feb 18, 2003.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I know this has been discussed before. I just don't have enough time to do a thorough search.

Specifically, I was wondering if there are any Irrigation Associations that don't require taking a test in order to become a member.

I am just sick of taking tests.
  2. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

You can Join the Irrigation assocaition for around 300 a year, all you have to do is send in a form and cut a check, to become CERTIFIED, you need to take a test
  3. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

Suggest looking into your state organization, much more relevant to your location and needs. Hvae been down the the I.A. route, not much to be gained for a local contractor who only wants to gain more knowledge regarding their specific needs.
    with regards... devildog
  4. Jim,
    did you think about asking your local irrigations supplier???

I think local associations are better for seeking out local thoughts, new idea's devloping in your area, local labor issues ect...

I belong to 2 local associations here in the S.F. Penninsula. One meets every 4 months and do get local supply houses to give talks about current and new products comming to market. Also, help with insurance providers. The other group meets at different locations thru out most of the Bay Area every other month. They provide the same service but for me, it's harder to get to their meetings. Cost for both groups runs about $150 a year.

5. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Only one that i know of is the Irrigation Association of New England....all they want is a tests. However im assuming with you in Oregon...that would be of minimal help!
  6. MPhillips

MPhillips LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

Don't join the Irrigation Association. They are completely worthless, unless you live in Canada. I could go on all day about this pathetic's enough to say that ALCA now appears to be handling some training/cert work for them...
  7. PR0 TURF

Please tell me your thoughts on the IA. I have been considering joining soon...but haven't really looked into it enough. It would be nice to get an opinion of the IA other than there own opinion.
  8. MPhillips

from zone 7

Some reasons I would join a trade association are for educational support like certifications, classes, manuals...solid industry information like a monthly magazine, vendor discounts, and the oppty to experince with IA return phone calls, website isn't functional, no classes held in the SE US, no networking ooportunitiues unless I wanted to travel outside the US, one issue of a trade journal then delivery stopped, no marketing support,...honestly they just don't deliver anything they say they do...they appear to cater to agricultural/internation/academic "irrigators"...just try to call them up and order a training manual for one of your guys...that experience alone will confirm what I'm saying about bet is to join ALCA for all of your national needs and a local group for networking, I think. The IA has not delivered on a single promise to me, and like I said they have formed this partnership with ALCA, which I suppose is designed to deliver what they have been unable too.
  9. PR0 TURF

How much were the membership fees? If you remember...

Thanks for the input...anyone else have any similar experiences with them or any other associations...?

10. MPhillips

from zone 7

not sure I'd have to look...several hundred bucks I'm thinking...if it was a nickel it was too much.