Irrigation Business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SERRICO, Jun 14, 2004.

1. SERRICO

SERRICO LawnSite Member
    from TX

IS IRRIGATION BUSINESS PRETTY GOOD?
    HOW IS THE PROFIT MARGIN AND COMPETITION WAR?
    I'M TRYING TO GET A LICENSE THIS SUMMER.
    NEED SOME OPINION BEFORE I GET INTO.

THANKS

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

You'll learn fast theres not alot to be made in the installation business.

3. SERRICO

SERRICO LawnSite Member
    from TX

jwingfield2k

SO U THINK IT IS NOT WORTH TO GET A LICENSE?

4. gr8cutter

gr8cutter LawnSite Member

I have been checking on it here in Tulsa. People calling for service are scheduled three weeks out. The profit marging is good on service but not very on new installations.

5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Its ALOT of hard work. My dad owned a company that did 3mil in gross sales a year. He was the biggest and baddest company here in the dallas area. sepcialized in high end residentials and even huge places like the starplex ampitheatre here in dallas.

He said there wasnt much to be made. The real money is in designing. Think... if you are a designer, your overhead is a computer, your time, and autocad. thats it.

He does all the stuff for brinker now, like chilis, mac grill, eckerds, cvs, walgreens. malls in dallas such as willow bend, stonebriar. does every new school that pops up in the area, but stricly designs the plans.

I will tell you that you will not be a good designer unless you have field experience like my dad started off with.

I think he started at like 16 or 17 and did it all the way till he was 36 or so. He's now 50 and stricly draws plans and advises me on my business practices.

You can make alot of money on repairs, but installation is just pretty cut and dry to do it the correct way. you can bank tons of money by doing shotty work, but not alot to be made while doing a perfect job.