Irrigation circuitry

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by 1idejim, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I've upsized a notch or two on an old Hunter SRC, but only up to 1-1/4 amps from the original 3/4 amp normal-blow fuse (the triacs in the SRC are rated for 4 amps)

So, what clamparound meters are popular for 2-wire use? It looks like one with a bottom range less than 10 amps, having a 4-digit display, will read out to 0.001 amps. Is that good enough?

2. This reminded me of a trick i learned. If you have a situation where you need to blow a bunch of fuses troubleshooting assuming you can get your hands on an old richdel r4-12 then remove the reset fuse it has, add a little wire and alligator clips, remove the fuse and alligator clip across the fuse holders with the reset fuse.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

depending on the model boots, you get a readout of numbers or led/digital strength. the RD, vivamax, metrotech and others have current direction capabilities. basically the path is located by the strongest signal, helps in congested areas.

4. Wet_Boots

I'm still not seeing why I am concerned with the value of any current when I am tracking a wire.

5. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

This clamp meter is designed to use on two-wire systems and is actually pretty inexpensive as far as high resolution clamp meters go.

6. Wet_Boots

I see there is a family of clamparound meters called "leakage meters" with micro-amp capabilities, but they live in a pricey neighborhood.

7. Sprinkus

Pro 92 is around 200 bucks.

8. Wet_Boots

the "big boys" like Fluke seem to think $500 is too low for a "leakage meter" ~ I see on ebay, there are cheesy-looking imports, and a few more-intriguing discontinued brand-name clamparounds.

Just how low are two-wire current readings going to be? Anything below the milliamp range?

9. Sprinkus

Nominal standby current on a Tucor LD-050 single station decoder is 0.5 mA.

10. Wet_Boots

Okay, that puts you in Leakage Meter territory, no doubt.