1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Irrigation Co. in Fla. My need a job

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Kartanimal29, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Kartanimal29

Kartanimal29 LawnSite Member
    from Ct.

Well after 34 year here in Ct. the Wife and I are thinking about moving to Fla. I'd like to know some of the larger Irrigation Co. I have 13 years of Golf and Residential install's and service. I can pretty much do anything and run may types of equipment, a shovel up to a 300 series excavator.

Thanks Todd

2. DeepRoots

DeepRoots LawnSite Member

check monster.com
    i saw a job in fort myers and one in jax not too long ago.
  3. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

You might as well move to Florida. Everyone else from the northeast has. Sorry, ex Florida native here. Just had to ***** a little about all the people that flooded Florida.

Sorry, I didn't know the word that is used for a female animal was a no no here.
  4. Kartanimal29

Kartanimal29 LawnSite Member
    from Ct.

Were just getting sick of the snow up here, plus the racin season is 365 days down there
  5. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

6. Ed G

Ed G LawnSite Member

I moved to the Orlando area from East Lyme, Ct.

Be prepared for total cultural shock. Pace of life down here is sooooooo much slower than you are used to and wages are much, much lower.

I am a homeowner, so don't know about starting a business, but irrigation companies are a dime a dozen down here. Of course a good irrigation pro would stick out like a sore thumb and be well received. A plan with your estimate would be unique.

It takes a good year to start like living down here - be prepared for that.

Unti you get a business going, I understand the irrigation guys who work for disney and universal studios like their jobs very much.

Racing season huh? Post back here on your first impressions of Bithlo.

Good luck to you!
  7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

It's a biatch but you can often work around things like this. :laugh:
  8. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

9. zliminator

zliminator LawnSite Member

in central FL, anyway. Higher int. rates, higher ins and property taxes is keeping people from buying. My cousin who works at a truss co. here in Polk Co. was swamped for about two years up until just recently. Now he gets off at 2. Its usually slow for irr co.s now because its the rainy season, but it will pick up in December, from what I hear.
  10. speedbump

speedbump LawnSite Member

Zliminator is right about that. It's so bad that sprinkler companies are hiring guys that will work for less than minimum wage. Probably some of the illegals we have so many of.

I was as the CVS Pharmacy this morning and saw this installation.

Check this out.