Irrigation Considerations when Aerating...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by 2fatguyslawncare, Mar 12, 2008.

1. 2fatguyslawncare

2fatguyslawncare LawnSite Member

Hi folks, I will be starting out new this year and I have a question regarding preparation for aeration. I understand the principle idea of flagging the sprinkler heads when preparing to aerate; either myself or the home owner...

But what about the feed to the sprinkler heads? Are the heads "typically" the only component of the irrigation system that is in danger of being damaged by aeration with a plug aerator?

Thanks,

Leroy

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

For the most part, you'll only hit the heads. But there will be the occasional poorly installed system with pipes at the surface that you may hit. I've repaired 'em. You may get a valve box cover if your not paying attention as well. Maybe even wires to the controller. I know customers that have had aerating done and then the phone or cable TV was out due to damaged cable.

3. 2fatguyslawncare

So, like a boy scout I need to be prepared for anything then? Thanks Danamac, I will keep my eyes wide open.

Leroy

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

You might not know when you hit these things though until the client calls you up complaining. If I was doing aerating, I would probably have some waiver form to cover my rear. There is know way of knowing how deep these things will be.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I think the landscapers have to 'self-insure' themselves and handle any damages they cause, even if the homeowner wants them to cover the entire repair bill given them by their sprinkler guy. (meaning that fix-it-yourself may not be an option)

6. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll agree, but only for marked heads.

If your not sure of cable/phone call the locators

Anything unmarked is homeowners responsiblity (shallow pipe, unmarked valve boxes, etc.)

7. Wet_Boots

One problem with this is that the aerating and/or power-raking is usually taking place when the systems aren't turned on. Homeowners can't find the heads. If it's up to them to mark them, in order to absolve themselves of financial responsibility for damage, then this work might not be happening until mid-May in Maine, or until the above-ground plumbing won't risk freezing overnight.

8. 2fatguyslawncare

I am glad my background is project management and risk assessment. There seems to be plenty to manage and plenty of risks to analyze.

Are there any metallic components that can be easily located with the use of a metal detector? I know that with buried cable I would be able to locate it, but I have no clue what irrigation components are made of. Is there a good site that shows the typical components of an underground irrigation system?

Thanks for all of the information, keep it coming!

Leroy

9. Wet_Boots

Steel beats plastic, so what you hit, you can break. I have customers with cable TV drops so shallow that they could definitely die from core aeration, and no service will mark them for you.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Not enough metal in any sprinkler stuff to help. Are you planning on locating and working around cables at all homes? Lots of extra work in my opinion.