Irrigation cost for a big project

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by paula, Jul 18, 2006.

1. paula

paula LawnSite Member

Hello

I would like to ask how do you charge in a project of 4 acres:

- do you charge by valve?

- do you charge by square feet?

If you charge by square feet, how much? 75 cents/square feet? $1/square feet? No idea

Usually I charge by valve, but in this case I can not do it. If I do, we will lose money.

Any comments and good advise.

Thanks,

Paula

2. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

This Thursday I am traveling to see a larger residential on 4 acres with all bed and grass area's separate. On this one is a little different price wise since it is out of our normal service area. So I will bid my standard price per each type of head. Plus a price per a foot for a 1.5" main & wire, pump & eletric, plus 6 service calls @ $300 each because of drive time. I am expecting it pushing the 30K range. But this is just an example of how I run my business in the midwest. What I find on larger jobs is you can either make good money on them or lose a good amount of expected profit on them. When bidding a large job I also consider lost income from smaller jobs. Such as if I am looking at a job that might take 4 or more days to complete and I know I can make X amount per those four days on regular jobs then that bigger job better atleast match that profit or be higher.