Irrigation damage

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by pennyan, Jul 5, 2007.

1. pennyan

pennyan LawnSite Member
    from west NJ

Has anyone ever damage a irrigation system by running over
    a below grade plastic or PVC manifold valve box with lid/water leak/ Level ground
    box below grade.Customer states cracked manifold.

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have many customers with irrigation and I run over the lids all the time with my 60" and 66" SuperZ's. They're pretty heavy but I've never had a problem. I've even run over them accidentally with my New Holland (2500 lbs.) doing mulch and had no problems at all.:)

3. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the valve or box where not installed proper or its just a little bad luck!:confused:

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It is easy to keep driving the valve box into the ground little by little and eventually it will break the pipe....not a big deal to fix...do it youself or you will get hosed with a big bill.

5. pennyan

pennyan LawnSite Member
    from west NJ

Hosed,Thay had it done last week 300.00 & settled on
    150.00 from me.I droped them,some people just s---

6. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Ive done the same thing as ed2hess. Drove over a valve box and it got pushed down into the pvc pipe and cracked it. As a matter of fact I posted pics of it in the irrigation section.
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=173187
    If you want to see the pics and the following suggestions by the irrigation guys and how to fix it check out the post.
    With all the rain we have been getting the ground is soft and it is very easy to push a valve box down into a pipe so I have been very careful to avoid them lately.

7. Ya'll be wise to keep your tires off those valve boxes. How hard is it to center the mower blades over the box? I see more and more of these 36" and 48" mowers doing small yards and the number of broken pipes at valve boxes seems to be going up as well. I can easily see, depending how it was piped in, a repair exceeding 300.00.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

(especially if it's a manifold like this :p)
    [​IMG]

9. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

I cringe when I do installs with kids.

I did one install and all the neighborhood kids hung out there.

Well needles to say I was there more times replacing cracked pipe under valve boxes, so I cut the boxes in half.

Then I was there after that replacing pipe under the DCV box.

I hate kids!...go away
    I guess they played alot of jump on box like smash a badger with a hammer.

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Not all valve box installations are equal... you will encounter varying qualities of boxes and installation methods. Cheap is cheap and quality is quality but there is always the unknown you will run into, i.e. a soft spot created by a leaking line, a stuck sprinkler shooting directly at a valve box creating excess mush by the box, valve boxes located in the lowest area of a landscape that accumulate routine irrigation water.

In our district one valve box can be run over by a loaded concrete truck without any problems while the one next to it gets crunched so we mark them when construction work is going on. However, all of them can take a direct wheel hit from our large mowers (don't know what type they are but they cut 20' swaths) and never move.