1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Irrigation Direct Anyone?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rainman7, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Rainman7

Rainman7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Has anyone tried any ID products? Just curious if anyone has been using evaluating the products. I see they added an adjustable nozzle. Only available in #10 though????? Guess they found a good deal on them.
  2. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

search, search, search.

This has been talked about many times!
  3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, as long as he's bringing it up...

I've installed 6 indoor ID controllers and 9 outdoor for a total of 126 zones.

I've encountered one bad module and one bad panel. A customer of mine went direct and got a replacement panel himself overnight before I had a chance to evaluate his reported problem.

Customer and his gardener both reported it had frozen in the OFF position over the winter and the display wouldn't change when he turned the dial.

ID told me they tested the returned panel and there was nothing wrong with it.

I've also installed 10 of the inline valves. They had initial problems with the solenoids where pinhole leaks developed in the top. They replaced all my solenoids and threw in some extra goodies for my hassles.

Bill Hayes seems like a decent guy to deal with. Straight talking, no BS. He listens and responds.

I'm looking forward to seeing what else they have to offer, but especially their larger capacity controller whenever it comes to market.

It should be an interesting challenge to the Hunter ICC and ESP-LX M....
  4. irrig8r

Any of you guys run across the new Irrigation Direct catalog yet?

Should be in the new Irrigation and Green Industry, but I asked for and received a PDF version. Prices on drip irrigation materials look hard to beat. Good deals on VAN style spray nozzles and pre-assembled swing joints too.

I can't attach it here because the file size is too big, but I bet if you asked them nicely they'd send it to you.
  5. Paradise23

Paradise23 LawnSite Member

I used the clock, and the nozzles. They have adjustable in more than just 10' radius. I got the 12' adj. The clock is as good as a Pro C except it is cheaper to expand, and cheaper to get 6 zones because the base model starts with 6 not 3 like the pro c
  6. irrig8r

I like the clock's price, but the features are better too.

Larger,easier to read display, lithium battery that can be replaced (unlike the ESP-M) backing up current time. Automatic and adjustable (if Congress changes its mind again) DST. And it's easier to get 15 stations in than the Pro- C.

IMHO, it's better than the ESP-M, and better than the Pro-C. If you use either one of those you should give it a try.

I don't want to see my local distributor go out of business, and I don't think he will, because I still do a lot more business with him.

But if I can get a few things that have features I like at a better price, then why not?
  7. sprinklerchris

sprinklerchris LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

sounds good. how's the shipping?
  8. irrig8r

To be honest, it's quick here, and that's been via DHL.

And though I'm only about 45 miles away from the Irrigation Direct HQ, it goes down south to Fresno and then back up here to San Jose... which always seems kinda weird, but it's just the way DHL does it.

Just about everything has arrived either next day or two days.

I've always gotten a tracking number via my email to check up on my order.

I hear they're switching over to UPS soon, to serve bigger orders better.... like if you wanted a whole pallet full of controllers...
  9. sprinklerchris

sprinklerchris LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

DHL will work fine. I'm going to order a sample to try. Not interested in the valve, but the controller looks good.
  10. irrig8r

I have a comment about Mike Leary's least favorite advertiser...

You know, I really like the improvements they made to the Pro-C style controller, I have had good results with their valves, and the customer service has been top notch too.

But the fact that they are so open with their pricing online, and that they are appearing to target the DIY homeowner by making it easier to order just one clock at a time may have just come back and bitten me on the a**.

I mentioned the name of the company to a prospect the other day and emailed off an estimate for sprinkler work today... to which he responded...

"How much will you take off the bill if I order the controller myself?"

So I wrote back and explained:

"I don't remember encouraging you to order the timer yourself. I do remember mentioning that their customer service was good.

If you did that, I'd have to leave you on your own to install and program it.

Bottom line: Making a profit on my time and materials keeps me in business.

I know you wouldn't take your own eggs to a restaurant, or your own gaskets or spark plugs to your car mechanic...

Same rules apply :) "

Did I do the right thing?