Irrigation for 2.9 acres

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by muddstopper, Oct 4, 2007.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

First off, I am not into doing irrigation, but I have been asked to bid a job that will require a irrigation system, which I will sub out if I get the bid. The engineering firm is writing specs for a 4 head system that is supposed to cover 127,000 sqft. About 300ftx350ft +/-. Is irrigating a turf area this size possible with just 4 heads? And if so, what am I looking at as far as a total cost installed for such a system. Nameing head types and brands is going to be greek to me, I just need to know if its doable and a approximate cost for such a system. The actual specs havent been completed so I cant give specific details except the area is appox 300X350 ft and will be basicly flat, and almost square with no obstructions, with maybe a 2 or 3 percent grade (no more than 6%) for drainage. The area will be a grasspave system to use for carshows, bike rallies, ect. A best guess estimate will do for now, until I get a hold of the actual spec sheets, and then I will be looking for a irrigation contractor in/near Western NC to work with to prepare a bid. I am also interested in hearing about alternatives type systems, possible fertigation, that might be a better choice, that I can present to the engineer before he completes the spec.
  2. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

is this well or metered water?
  3. muddstopper

It will be city water I am fairly certain. Rec and parks dept.
    Engineers suggested heads are four Nelson 100 sprinkler heads .
  4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

So from what I am reading on that "Big Gun" head, it requires at least a 2" inlet, thats a lot of water. Does the facility have that kind of capacity? Probably wont be running all 4 at once for that kind of distance. According to the site, the 100 can go up to 380 feet with the right flow and pressure (A LOT). Be interested to see this one in action.
  5. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Get some I-90's!!!!!

I'll pay you so I can install them!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Heads that can shoot water 380 feet are dangerous. Think water cannon. Can you have the heads mounted on towers, so nobody gets hurt? If a 3 acre square was subdivided into smaller squares, one might put a full-circle pop-up rotor in the middle of each smaller square, and minimize head count.

Your best job will use more than four heads.
  7. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Why dont you try and upgrade the specs to the 200 model, pull 1210 GPM out your rear through a 4" inlet, out a 1.9" nozzle and shoot it 620 feet.

Holy God, thats a long way.
  8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I like big water.:laugh:
  9. muddstopper

The ideal I am getting here seems to suggest that a 4 head design is do-able, but maynot the best ideal. I know the engineer did mention the customer having their own reservations about such a design.

Talk to me guys, this is going to be around a 1/2mil dollar project, irrigation is just a small part of the cost, what irrigation system will work the best. ( and I need ball park figures as to cost) I visited the site yesterday, its flat and wide open and inside a fence, but sees about 30 shows, fairs, expos, ect a year, starting the 3rd week in April. Water is not a problem, city water, city park.
  10. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

you defiantly could do the project with the I-90s or from what I've read a I-60 might be more inline with normal city water pressure. you really have a lot of options depending on what kind of pressure you have and how comfortable they'd be with 4 big heads out there. the only problem I see with the four head approach besides the ~80-100psi requirement is I'd be wary of leaving them unatended in a park. most golf courses have someone watching when they turn the guns on, but if the city isn't going to do that it'd be a liability for them. just imagine all the drunks and whatnot that might get blasted in the early morning hours. and also think of the theft factor, once you get these installed captnrotor is going to be lurching in the woods to fulfill his quest