1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Irrigation for ornimental grasses

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Sep 21, 2009.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

the grasses are going to be 4' tall and at least 5 plants deep. the system is a clean slate so I can do what ever I want.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If it would be a sort of "Impenetrable thicket" of ornamental grass, I would consider throwing water at it from a distance. At the same time, if it won't suffer from foot traffic, you might do well with individual drippers for each plant.

3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Stagger the layouts of the 12" pop ups throughout the planting bed in a manner similar to my first response.
    I do not like drip lines for this type of planting as aggressively growing roots may easily damage either the emitter or the feed line.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I was thinking more in terms of the above-ground emitter arrays. I've used popups with stream nozzles for stuff like this.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

If you bury the lines you will avoid most all the problems with roots, especially if you use a root inhibitor such as the Techfilter option. There is a good reason for the extensive no root intrusion warranty from Netafim.

6. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

my concern wasn't so much root intrusion but the the roots choking the drip line. I have seen that a few times where the drip line is actually in the center of the root ball completely choked off.

I have attached the plan for the planting. The grasses are Panicum virgatum 'Heavy Metal' or Blue switch grass and the spacing is 2' on center and the are 1 gallon containers.

switch grass.jpg

Panicum%20virgatum%20%27Heavy%20Metal%272.jpg

7. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with netafim or 12" Sprays close by staggered with a low volume nozzle

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, this is possible even when buried , but is less likely the deeper you go. This is why when I build a grid in areas where there is a potential for lines getting pinched due to growth I do several things.

1. Design the grid with forethought to the mature size of the plant(s).
    2. Have frequent tie-ins to all laterals.
    3. Increase the source points if possible.

Doing the above minimizes, if not eliminates, the chance that a pinched line will cause failure of large portions of the system.